Reply 21 of 31, by ragefury32

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Intel486dx33 wrote:
dionb wrote:
derSammler wrote:

The FCC ID is not even needed, as model and company are written on the card. Paradise VLBUS3300. 🤣

Not needed, but for some odd reason the max resolution (one of the questions) is included in the title of the FCC documents 😵

Which number is the FCC number ?

Not FCC Number - FCC ID.

The Federal Communications Commission of the United States of America require that all data communications equipment capable of emitting RF/EM to be tested for compliance with existing regulations against RF interference. This is part of the approval process to sell the product in the US. Each manufacturer will have to apply for approval with the FCC and submit the name of the business requesting the approval, the name of the individual responsible for receiving the approval (or a delegated individual who is legally authorized to work on the approval process).

What's so significant about the FCC ID code?

It uniquely identifies the original equipment manufacturer of the hardware in question, and depending on the paperwork submitted during the testing/approval process, you can gain quite a bit of insight on what hardware is used, what purpose it serves, and most importantly it helps you find alternative points of support for a product. Back in the early 90s small Taiwanese ODMs (original design manufacturers) were rather common, and if you bought your parts from a "white box" or "beige box" shop, the items did not come with much beyond a one page diagram/floppy disk containing drivers, and there are no identifying marks of the manufacturer as those parts can be sold to multiple vendors. The shop that you bought from probably bought it from a distributor who bought it from some ODM selling the same parts to multiple firms with different names. Note that in many cases the distributor/reseller might have gone out of business. One of the other reseller might still be alive and more importantly, hosting the driver that you need.

Okay, so here's a run-down of how the FCC ID works.

To do a lookup, go to -> https://www.fcc.gov/oet/ea/fccid

The FCC ID on the card reads: DXL9IL677 - now, we'll need to take a guess at the FCC grantee.
Try using the first 3 or 5 characters to establish the name of the FCC grantee (the firm who submitted the equipment for compliance testing/approval). The rest usually identifies the equipment. In this case, first 3 character worked.

the FCC Grantee code is: DXL (Lung Hwa Electronics of Taiwan) - they have been in the business for 36 years
Applicant: Peter Pai
Instead of applicant, FCC is authorized to mail original grant to:
Bandele Adepoju, Rockford Engineering Services (according to his Linkedin profile he currently works for EMC as a wireless safety engineer, but he was at Rockford doing compliance consultancy work during the 1990s. You would actually find quite a number of Taiwanese ODM products with him listed as the authorized grant recipient) -> https://www.linkedin.com/in/bandele-adepoju-93b0921/

Equipment code - 9IL677 (Take the entire FCC ID, subtract out the grantee code, the rest is the identifying code)

Equipment Class: JBP - Part 15 Class B Computing Device Peripheral
Description of product as it is marketed: (NOTE: This text will appear below the equipment class on the grant): VESA VGA Card (1280 X 1024 Interlaced).

It is often helpful to feed the FCC ID to the google gods and see what you can find. Paradise was bought out by Western Digital, which divested the business in 1995 to Phillips Semiconductors (now NXP), and NXP got out of the market for video cards not long after.

However, there are probably some obscure corners of the web where someone is still hosting drivers for the card, like here -> http://files.mpoli.fi/hardware/DISPLAY/PARADISE/

Reply 22 of 31, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
bjwil1991 wrote:

Okay, So what would you say are the best settings fo this card if going in a 486dx2-66 computer with 16mb ram ?
The card can do 1080p

I am using an LCD display. ( Dell ).

According to the manual listed above.

Attachments

Reply 23 of 31, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Intel486dx33 wrote:

The card can do 1080p

No, it can't.
1080p would mean progressive, ie. non-interlaced.

It seems that card can do 1280x1024 interlaced, or 1024x768 non-interlaced.
The former is unlikely to work with a LCD monitor, so you're limited to the latter.

Żywotwór planetarny, jego gnijące błoto, jest świtem egzystencji, fazą wstępną, i wyłoni się z krwawych ciastomózgowych miedź miłująca...

Reply 25 of 31, by GigAHerZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

@Intel486dx33, where did you read it can do 1080p? Is your iPad (The "perfect computer" as you have mentioned) incapable of reproducing text on webpages correctly?

"640K ought to be enough for anybody." - And i intend to get every last bit out of it even after loading every damn driver!

Reply 26 of 31, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Intel486dx33 wrote:

I am on my iPad. I don’t google. I use Safari.
Can I put any DRAM in these slots ( -15 or -12 ). ( 256kb or 512kb )

Have you tried asking Siri first?

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 27 of 31, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Do you think these ram chips might work ?

Attachments

Reply 28 of 31, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
GigAHerZ wrote:

@Intel486dx33, where did you read it can do 1080p? Is your iPad (The "perfect computer" as you have mentioned) incapable of reproducing text on webpages correctly?

He Safared it.

Reply 30 of 31, by dan86

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
GigAHerZ wrote:

I have the same card. I can confirm it can do 1080p with ram upgrade... NOT 🤣
This card can most likely do 1280x1024 at best.

Reply 31 of 31, by DNSDies

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
GigAHerZ wrote:
Intel486dx33 wrote:
dionb wrote:
Here we go again... […]
Show full quote

Here we go again...

There's an FCC ID clearly visible in your second photograph, have you gone to fcc.gov to search for what that tells you?
There are RAM eight chips with chip codes clearly visible. Googling them gives you information on capacity (and other specs)
The BIOS chip seems to have a brand name on it. Maybe googling that with the WDC chip name might give you a few hits too.

Once you've done the basics I for one would be happy to help if you get stuck, but just dumping stuff here and expecting others to do all the heavy lifting isn't exactly best netiquette.

I am on my iPad. I don’t google. I use Safari.

I haven't seen such arrogant post ever in this forum yet. Appalling...

Arrogance is assuming others exist for your benefit and not even doing a simple search on the multitude of codes, numbers, or names on the card.
Spoon feeding isn't good.