VOGONS

Can you ID this graphics card ?

Topic actions

First post, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It’s a VLB card with a Western Digital chip.
How many megabytes is it ?
And what is it resolution
And where can I get a driver or Win3x and Win95.
And any docs or manuals please.

Attachments

Reply 1 of 31, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Here we go again...

There's an FCC ID clearly visible in your second photograph, have you gone to fcc.gov to search for what that tells you?
There are RAM eight chips with chip codes clearly visible. Googling them gives you information on capacity (and other specs)
The BIOS chip seems to have a brand name on it. Maybe googling that with the WDC chip name might give you a few hits too.

Once you've done the basics I for one would be happy to help if you get stuck, but just dumping stuff here and expecting others to do all the heavy lifting isn't exactly best netiquette.

Reply 2 of 31, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
dionb wrote:
Here we go again... […]
Show full quote

Here we go again...

There's an FCC ID clearly visible in your second photograph, have you gone to fcc.gov to search for what that tells you?
There are RAM eight chips with chip codes clearly visible. Googling them gives you information on capacity (and other specs)
The BIOS chip seems to have a brand name on it. Maybe googling that with the WDC chip name might give you a few hits too.

Once you've done the basics I for one would be happy to help if you get stuck, but just dumping stuff here and expecting others to do all the heavy lifting isn't exactly best netiquette.

I am on my iPad. I don’t google. I use Safari.
Can I put any DRAM in these slots ( -15 or -12 ). ( 256kb or 512kb )

Reply 3 of 31, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The FCC ID is not even needed, as model and company are written on the card. Paradise VLBUS3300. 🤣

Intel486dx33 wrote:

No, you can't. -15 and -12 means 150ns and 120ns respectively, but you'd need 45ns EDO chips.

Reply 4 of 31, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

but you'd need 45ns EDO chips.

Actually no. Most of these cards will work with 60-70ns.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 5 of 31, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I don't care about "most of these cards". Also, it's VLB. If you want to use it with >33 MHz and no wait states, you better use fast RAM.

45ns chips weren't cheap back then in 1993. No manufacturer would have used them just for fun.

Reply 6 of 31, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Speed is not set by the number written on the DRAM chip but whatever BIOS programs to memory timings register(s) if they exist at all and that value is not dependent at all on what speed you have VLB running at, only sometimes by a resistor that sets power up default as with some VLB Cirrus cards (many newer PCI, AGP and PCI-E cards mainly rely on resistor based settings for the important things).

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 8 of 31, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

45ns chips weren't cheap back then in 1993. No manufacturer would have used them just for fun.

There's no indication that card was manufactured in 1993. It's only using WD firmware dated from 1993.

Reply 10 of 31, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If you want to use it with >33 MHz and no wait states

60ns should be enough even for 50mhz.

pretty much every chip on that card has a '93 datecode

Still doesn't indicate that it was assembled in 1993. In fact, memory datecode is early December 1993. Therefore that particular card was probably made in the first half of 1994.

Last edited by The Serpent Rider on 2019-11-12, 17:18. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 11 of 31, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I had a card similar to that: Paradise Bahamas 64 VLB, minus the DIP switches.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 12 of 31, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
bjwil1991 wrote:

I had a card similar to that: Paradise Bahamas 64 VLB, minus the DIP switches.

Where can I get a manual for dip switches and jumpers settings ?

Reply 13 of 31, by ragefury32

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Looks like a Paradise VLBUS3300 (Paradise was owned by WD for a while and then sold to Phillips) - try going through this and see if anything matches:

https://stason.org/TULARC/pc/graphics-cards/16ISA_2.html

Reply 14 of 31, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I think I found info: Western Digital Paradise WD90C33 VLB

Source

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 15 of 31, by BeginnerGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Intel486dx33 wrote:

Since when is google not the default search engine used by safari.. also any search engine would result in an answer.

Sup. I like computers. Are you a computer?

Reply 16 of 31, by GigAHerZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Intel486dx33 wrote:
dionb wrote:
Here we go again... […]
Show full quote

Here we go again...

I haven't seen such arrogant post ever in this forum yet. Appalling...

"640K ought to be enough for anybody." - And i intend to get every last bit out of it even after loading every damn driver!

Reply 17 of 31, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
derSammler wrote:

The FCC ID is not even needed, as model and company are written on the card. Paradise VLBUS3300. 🤣

Not needed, but for some odd reason the max resolution (one of the questions) is included in the title of the FCC documents 😵

Reply 18 of 31, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
dionb wrote:
derSammler wrote:

Not needed, but for some odd reason the max resolution (one of the questions) is included in the title of the FCC documents 😵

Which number is the FCC number ?