VOGONS

First post, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Need INF and AHCI/raid drivers so I can install XP 32 Pro on a Dell Optiplex 990.

Was not sure which chipset to select even knew Q67 and dell has one but not listed when I explored manual install drivers during trying to switch on AHCI mode for storage controllers.

I'm tsking at Intel for pulling out legacy drivers off their site.

Thanks all.

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 1 of 3, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Finally found the drivers but results in immediate BSOD right after manually selecting the AHCI driver. I followed what I found online without reinstalling windows XP.

I used to able to before with earlier computers to install AHCI without reinstalling XP when I had XP.

Help?

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 2 of 3, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If your BIOS was not set to AHCI when you installed XP then you cannot change to AHCI after. Changing AHCI affects Windows boot as AHCI has to be in the same state (either as AHCI or Legacy/IDE mode) as of time of XP Installation. You also must use the intel F6 boot AHCI driver when installing XP. Installing a AHCI driver when XP was installed in Legacy mode will create a BSOD, and same goes if installed as AHCI and then BIOS switced to Legacy.

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun