VOGONS

First post, by Thrash75

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello dear people,

I just bought a CF-IDE adapter. This one:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dual-compact-flash … UI/264460294466

I was planning on using a 2GB card for my MS-DOS 6.22 system. I use EZ-Drive 9.06w to partition drives. But the 2GB card is detected as an 8GB drive, and gives me an error if I try anyway (obviously, I guess..). I have also tried with a 512Mb card, which it also sees as 8Gb, and won't work. I have also tried using GDISK. I did a "GDISK 1 /cre /pri /for /-32". It seems to work at first, but when I check afterwards, no partitions were created. For kicks, I also tried a small 32Mb card with GDISK. Same outcome. 😐

In the BIOS (EDIT: BIOS always detects correct sizes), I have tried setting the cards as LBA, NORMAL and LARGE, but it makes no difference. Could it really be the case, that all 3 cards are incompatible with this adapter? I have tried googling this, but can't seem to find anything regarding my problem. I did find something interesting, though. Someone said that CF cards with SLC (single level cell) was recommended. Could that be the problem?

Any advices, recommendations or thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Thrash75 on 2019-11-14, 14:39. Edited 3 times in total.

Brian

Reply 2 of 8, by Thrash75

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

No. The BIOS always detects the cards with correct sizes. But EZ-Drive always sees them as 8Gb. My apologies, I should have mentioned that. Corrected. 😀

It's a custom built system. Motherboard is Asus SP97-V, with a patched BIOS that supports up to 128GB drives.

Brian

Reply 3 of 8, by Cyrix200+

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have used these adapters with a variation of CF cards, but have not had this problem. It could be bad luck though.

I would try to go back to basic and grab a DOS 6.22 install disk and use FDISK to re-do all partitions and use FORMAT on the disk, to rule out any software problems.

You don't actually need EZ-Drive with the patched BIOS right?

I often see the recommendation to use FDISK /MBR when experiencing issues with CF cards, but that mostly has to do with booting.

1982 to 2001

Reply 4 of 8, by Thrash75

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

No, I don't need EZ-Drive. 😀 But I tend to use it, because I think it's simple and fast. I disable the EZ BIOS (or whatever it's called..?) after the partitioning. FDISK? Sure, so I just tried good old FDISK from the 6.22 install disks (also did an /MBR). Like GDISK, it reports no errors while "creating" the partition, but no partitions are actually created. So, yeah..

Here's a funny thing.. I put the card in my normal modern computer. And sure enough, no partitions were ever created. I then created a FAT16 partition, and formatted it. It then appeared fine, and read and write worked. So, the card is working. Then I put it back in the DOS machine, and it couldn't see the partition I just created. It saw the card as not being partitioned at all.

It's highly likely, my CF adapter is faulty.. 😒 I just ordered another one - this time from a local store, instead of China. 😀 I also ordered a cheap SLC CF card, just to see it that works on the first adapter. Because I googled the specs on both the 2GB and the 512Mb card, and they are both MLC. Not sure if that is a problem, but I'll find out. 😀

Brian

Reply 5 of 8, by Cyrix200+

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Let us know if that fixes the problem. Did you try another cable also? Googling finds so many suggestions. 80 lead cables are mentioned as a source of trouble also.

1982 to 2001

Reply 7 of 8, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have had CF/IDE adapters go bad before, in fact I have one on my desk right now. I don't know exactly how it happens because they have almost no active components on them, but they do. When that happens I shrug and buy another one. They're cheap enough.

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 8 of 8, by Thrash75

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Okay, reporting back.. I got the new adapter today. That did the trick! I used GDISK to partition, and then set up DOS 6.22 with no problems at all. So, most likely a bad (or picky?) unit I had. Like I mentioned earlier, I will try the SLC CF card in the old adapter, when I get it. I don't expect it to work, but why not try it.. 😀

stamasd wrote:

I have had CF/IDE adapters go bad before, in fact I have one on my desk right now. I don't know exactly how it happens because they have almost no active components on them, but they do. When that happens I shrug and buy another one. They're cheap enough.

If the new adapter should go bad one day, I think I will follow your example. In fact, I may even order 2 or 3 at that time.. 🤣

Brian