VOGONS

First post, by walterg74

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hey folks,

I have been using a gotek for a while, and while it’s nice and all, when you start setting up “the” flash drive to have all your install disks on, games, etc, the number starts to add up quickly.

So it’s a real downer that while the device itself supports up to 1000 slots, and you can even format those slots with just a few buttons, that the software that comes with these only manages up to 100 slots...

So is there any alternative software or something that would allow you to easily copy stuff to all slots from your files on a pc..?

Alternatively, If you go the “flash with flashfloppy firmware” route, how does that work? Does it just cycle through ALL files then? And if so must they be in img format at that point? Also I assume if that’s the case you need a display to know which file you’re selecting?

Reply 1 of 1, by ShovelKnight

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have a Gotek flashed with FlashFloppy. I use it with the built-in 3-digit display.

In your FF.CFG file (in the root of your flash drive) you can specify:

nav-mode = indexed

In this case, the Gotek switches between files named DSKA0000.IMG, DSKA0001.IMG etc. and shows the numbers on the built-in display.

The files should already be in the IMG format. But at least on Linux, you can create an IMG file easily, e.g.:

mkfs.msdos -C DSKA0000.img 1440

Then mount the image file to copy files to it:

sudo mount -o loop DSKA0000.img /media/floppy

I'm pretty sure there is Windows software for making *.IMG files, but I'm not familiar with it.