VOGONS

First post, by mpe

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I love using CF-IDE adaptors. What I don't like is ribbon cables floating around and the fact the adaptors needs extra power cable (unless you have a rare controller that can provide voltage on pin 20).

So I decided to mod one of these to build a solution that can be powered exclusively from the slot without any external cables.

Started with a standard CF2IDE adaptor. Unsoldered male pins, soldered female connector. Unsoldered molex connector, soldered just a plain wire and connected +5V to gameport pin:

LdpwtFl.jpg

S06QXTq.jpg

Then I noticed that the HDD LED also conveniently provide +5V and come up with an improved variant:

yOoFe6c.jpg?1

So now I got a solid state VL-Bus storage without clunky cables which can be plugged into the slot and that's it.

Am1zfpO.jpg?1

Blog|NexGen 586|S4

Reply 5 of 5, by chrisNova777

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

so the only thing that makes this a hack is the 1 pin power connection ? 😀
looks good tho, nice and clean! my cf adapters all face out not right angled like that one

http://www.oldschooldaw.com | vintage PC/MAC MIDI/DAW | Asus mobo archive | Sound Modules | Vintage MIDI Interfaces
AM386DX40 | Asus VL/I-486SV2GX4 (486DX2-80) | GA586VX (p75) + r7000PCI | ABIT Be6 (pII-233) matroxG400 AGP