VOGONS

First post, by ThatRetroDude

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi everyone. I have a little problem with my i486 DOS machine. It will boot into DOS 6.22 with 20mb of RAM, but won't boot into Windows 3.1. It always crashes with the error: "can't start interrupt controller". I have a single 4MB and a single 16MB stick in the machine. One is EDO and the other is not. Windows 3.1 boots fine with just the 4mb stick and with just the 16mb stick. Does this have to do with a windows memory limitation or something with my motherboard? btw here are the specifications:
Intel i486DX2-66 @ 66 mHz
20 or 16 mb of 72-pin SIMM RAM
128k L2 cache
SB16 sound card
GemLight GMB486SG v2.2 motherboard
430mb Seagate ST3491A
Trident TGUI-9400CZI-VLB v5
Winbond PTI-255W I/O controller.

Reply 1 of 6, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ask old hardware and driver/configuration questions in Marvin. Marvin, the Paranoid Android This forum is for DOS games on modern systems.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 3 of 6, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If there are 486 boards with EDO RAM support, they are very rare.
And using EDO on boards designed for FPM may result with weird errors.

Nie tylko, jak widzicie, w tym trudność, że nie zdołacie wejść na moją górę, lecz i w tym, że ja do was cały zejść nie mogę, gdyż schodząc, gubię po drodze to, co miałem donieść.

Reply 4 of 6, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
ThatRetroDude wrote:

One is EDO and the other is not.

Never mix EDO and FPM on same board even if it supports both types, the timings are differant and ram must be matched as to type and speed for best compatibilty.

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 5 of 6, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Just pul,the 4meg stick and leave the 16meg stick and just move on.....

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 6 of 6, by ThatRetroDude

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
collector wrote:

Ask old hardware and driver/configuration questions in Marvin. Marvin, the Paranoid Android This forum is for DOS games on modern systems.

Woops. My fault.
I pulled the 4mb stick out. It works fine now. Thank you.