VOGONS

First post, by Eirle

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well,i'm gonna buy a external hard drive to my laptop to dual boot OS,in the main HD I will use Win10 e in the other WinME with some games I want to play,well i have a intel core 2 duo 2.1Ghz,Windows ME supports 1Ghz,that's really good,Intel GM45 in graphics, i used in Project64 a glide render to play Ocarina of Time,and I have good fps, if I use a glide like dgvoodoo or glidos to play these games it would work, because the hardware is powerful enough to run these games without a 3dfx card.
Will it work?

Why has God abandoned us?

Reply 4 of 15, by Eirle

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
The Serpent Rider wrote:

WinME is a horrible choice.

The game I wanna play is MS-DOS with a Windows 98 install, so for me is the perfect OS.
I have an old laptop with ME and it runs very well, unfortunately, the hardware is really poor.

Reply 5 of 15, by Merovign

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

ME has a largely undeserved reputation, it's "fine."

If you want to use the many aftermarket "updates" and bugfixes come up with by fans over the years, 98SE is what they're written for, though some of them work with ME.

*Too* *many* *things*!

Reply 6 of 15, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

WinME may generally be better than 98SE for stability in Windows, but the pure DOS mode has been sort-of removed (can be hacked back in). If you only intend to play DOS games within Windows, it's OK, but I don't see any system making both WinME and Win10 happy. You will encounter issues and glitches in one of them or in both.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 7 of 15, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Probably not.

ME=Dos Version 8 which is a crippled version of Dos 7.1 from 98 ME also removes real mode dos support present in 98

So if you want to play ms dos games ME isn't good for that.

So for you if the game you want to play is a DOS game with a windows install ME IS THE WORST OS> 🤣

Last edited by Warlord on 2019-11-17, 19:22. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 8 of 15, by BinaryDemon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Given that likely none of your hardware will be supported by WinME, you might be better off trying this in a Virtual Machine.

And just use DosBox for dos games.

Check out DOSBox Distro:

https://sites.google.com/site/dosboxdistro/ [*]

a lightweight Linux distro (tinycore) which boots off a usb flash drive and goes straight to DOSBox.

Make your dos retrogaming experience portable!

Reply 10 of 15, by Eirle

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The game I want to play in Glide version is TES Redguard, in my old laptop I play it in xngine, it plays good, but Glide version is way better and supports higher resolutions.

Reply 11 of 15, by Eirle

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
dr_st wrote:

WinME may generally be better than 98SE for stability in Windows, but the pure DOS mode has been sort-of removed (can be hacked back in). If you only intend to play DOS games within Windows, it's OK, but I don't see any system making both WinME and Win10 happy. You will encounter issues and glitches in one of them or in both.

They will have their owns disk,when i mean dual boot i mean start the notebook by selecting the diferent disk.

Reply 13 of 15, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Eirle wrote:

They will have their owns disk,when i mean dual boot i mean start the notebook by selecting the diferent disk.

That's not the problem.

Eirle wrote:

Maybe i try Win98SE,thanks guys.

It won't be any better (in fact will probably be worse), but good luck and keep us updated on the results. 😀

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 14 of 15, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Warlord wrote:

It's not any different to playing DOS games in Win98. The DOS VM is the same. It only lacks booting into DOS-only, but that's hardly needed for most games anyway.

Reply 15 of 15, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
derSammler wrote:
Warlord wrote:

It's not any different to playing DOS games in Win98. The DOS VM is the same. It only lacks booting into DOS-only, but that's hardly needed for most games anyway.

You can mod ME so that it works like a normal 9X operating system almost. Saying that its not any different in virtual dos would be true if windows 95 and 98 VXD drivers were not notoriously buggy on ME.