VOGONS

First post, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Do these exist? I'm looking for a way to merge my workstation and gaming rig. Currently the 'workstation' is running a "C2Q" (Xeon E5440) on a 775 board (Asus P5Q) with excellent legacy features - BIOS-supported LS120 & Zip drives (I can even boot from floppy on the LS120 drive), dual serial ports, 3 "old" PCI slots, etc. I actually need most of these features, especially the LS120 & Zip drives as I use them all the time for transferring data to retro systems and archiving floppies.

The gaming rig is an i7 3770 based Dell Optiplex 7010 with a single PCI slot that currently houses my Datapath VisionRGB Pro1 capture card. AFAIK it's fairly legacy-deficient and doesn't even have IDE.

Ideally I'd like a full-ATX 1155 board with Ivy Bridge support, DDR3, PS/2 ports, IDE, and at least two or three PCI slots. That would give me a nice foundation to combine the two systems on. I'm open to other platforms, but I don't feel like messing with AMD Bulldozer/Piledriver space heaters and it'd need to be a pretty substantial upgrade over the C2Q/Xeon to be worth the effort.

Last edited by xjas on 2019-11-17, 22:18. Edited 1 time in total.

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 1 of 3, by shiva2004

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ivy Bridge is socket 1155, not 1156.

Apart from that, a good mobo for what you want is the Asus P8H67, it has 3 PCI, PS2 keyboard and mouse and IDE together with USB 3 and SATA 3, a very unusual combination, and you can reuse your i7 3770. What I don't know is if you can use a ZIP/LS120 unit, but since it has IDE support probably you can.

In fact perhaps I'll have to buy one to use as a XP/7 semiretro machine.

Reply 2 of 3, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

^^ oops, fixed. Stupid off-by-one product names...

The ASUS P8H67 sure ticks all the boxes, thanks for that.

The reason I'm wondering about specific BIOS support for the LS120/Zip is because I can map either of them to A: and boot DOS off a disk on my P5Q, which I've actually had to do a couple times (for flashing hacked BIOSes to video cards and stuff.) It's not absolutely critical, but it's a nice feature to have.

I also discovered a Startech PEX2IDE in my stash, which I should plug into my current i7 rig and see how it does...

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 3 of 3, by _UV_

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Speaking of compatibility, most of 1155 boards upgraded to UEFI and have crippled compatibility with legacy devices. If you want something better than C2Q and still have support for legacy devices you probably should stop at 1366. Most of the boards have legacy BIOS.