VOGONS

First post, by baaz11

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello everyone,

I'm wondering if anyone knows where I could buy "paddle" switches similar to the one of IBM XT and some x86 machines. Preferably with a housing so they don't protrude.

Image of a non-IBM PC that uses this type of on/off switch:
https://i.imgur.com/fG1D394.png

Image of a IBM XT power supply with the switch:
https://cdn11.bigcommerce.com/s-a1x7hg2jgk/im … 0254608.jpg?c=2

Or if anyone knows of any PCs/cases that use these type of on/off switches from the 286/386/486 era. I remember one PC case with such a switch from those days that was quite stylish, but I can't seem to find anything relatable to that.

Reply 2 of 8, by Miphee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Look for red toggle switch in google images to find something similar and add a rocker switch frame.
With a little work you can achieve a relatively similar look.

Attachments

Reply 3 of 8, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I was lucky enough to get a handful of these over a decade ago in a scrap box full of electronics parts from ebay, I haven't seen them specifically anywhere, but you can find them attached to old PSUs sometimes.

Reply 4 of 8, by Miphee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
imi wrote:

I haven't seen them specifically anywhere, but you can find them attached to old PSUs some time.

Depending on where you live it can be a real challenge. I only managed to get one power supply from Germany with this kind of switch. These cases weren't very pouplar here and PSUs had the black rocker switch 99% of the time.

Attachments

• 5587AA.jpg
    Filename
    5587AA.jpg
    File size
    22.52 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 6 of 8, by baaz11

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Also found the model IBM 6901 with a similar switch type.

IBM 6901 Img link:
https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/4uQAAOSwSk9cbDA~/s-l300.jpg

Does anyone have this Pc or some similar and could look up if there is any number on that switch? Been searching for an original out of the box switch but nada.

Reply 7 of 8, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I just went through my box, most of them are either totally unmarked or only have markings for rated voltage/current

but two of them have a brand on them "CHILY" and one of them even has some part numbers

switch.jpg
Filename
switch.jpg
File size
218.37 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

search on ebay for "CHILY 3031" or "CHILY 3041" they're plentyful, you're welcome 😀

Reply 8 of 8, by baaz11

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
imi wrote:
I just went through my box, most of them are either totally unmarked or only have markings for rated voltage/current […]
Show full quote

I just went through my box, most of them are either totally unmarked or only have markings for rated voltage/current

but two of them have a brand on them "CHILY" and one of them even has some part numbers

switch.jpg

search on ebay for "CHILY 3031" or "CHILY 3041" they're plentyful, you're welcome 😀

Thank you very much kind sir for that information! I hope I'll be able to find something. 😀 😀 😀