VOGONS

First post, by psychofox

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello,

What for is used -5 volt rail on AT mainboard?
I am building an mini 386 machine, so i have this modern mini power supply that i plan to use, but it does not have -5 volt line. Is it gonna be a problem?

Reply 1 of 10, by treeman

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

some sound cards use it, but not that many models I have 2 systems running with no -5 386 and 486 only had a problem with a soundcard before but I have many so used one that works

Reply 2 of 10, by mpe

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'd say no.

It is exposed on ISA slot. So depends on cards you are going to use.

Most cards don't need it. But I have one which does need it - Sound Blaster 2.0 for amp. Newer cards don't need it.

Blog|NexGen 586|S4

Reply 4 of 10, by MKT_Gundam

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Some media Visison cards dont need the -5v?

Retro rig 1: Asus CUV4X, VIA c3 800, Voodoo Banshee (Diamond fusion) and SB32 ct3670.
Retro rig 2: Intel DX2 66, SB16 Ct1740 and Cirrus Logic VLB.

Reply 5 of 10, by psychofox

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for fast replies.
This system definetly will have a soundcard, luckily i have some different brand cards to try (ess, opti, yamaha and als120 chipset).
I will update this topic, and let you know which one will work.

Reply 6 of 10, by Vynix

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Some motherboards will behave oddly (or will flat out refuse to start) if you omit the negative 5V rail, AFAIK, it is a real crapshoot to know if your mobo is one of these that requires -5V or not.

Proud owner of a Shuttle HOT-555A 430VX motherboard and two wonderful retro laptops, namely a Compaq Armada 1700 [nonfunctional] and a HP Omnibook XE3-GC [fully working :p]

Reply 7 of 10, by SirNickity

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Most things use the +/-12V rails if they need bipolar supplies. In general, you won't hurt anything by trying. If something doesn't act right (my Media Vision Pro Audio Spectrum 16 card will play audio on high-speed dubbing, for e.g.) then you might need it. My ATX-to-AT adapter doesn't have an inline reg, so I've been thinking of whipping up a quick PCB to take the -12V pin on the ISA slot, run it through a linear reg, and feed -5V back in. In a pinch, I've just crammed some wires into the slot, with a breadboard hanging out on my bench. OK for testing, but it's not terribly secure.

Reply 8 of 10, by psychofox

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Now i have done some testing - motherboard works just fine, everything works and is stable without -5V.
But i saw some trouble with sound cars, i dont know yet if it is related to this missing -5V rail.

I tried couple cheap Crystal CX4237B chipset based card and ExpertColor Yamaha YMF718-S. Both had soundfx issue in Doom and Wolf3d, lots of loud hissing and cracking involved. Wolfenstein was at some point even playable, but i noticed that opening/closing door soundfx triggered almost always this awful noise problem.

Older games, that i tried, worked just fine.

Will do some more testing with differend soundcards and PSU with -5V rail.

Reply 9 of 10, by psychofox

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So, tested my system with regular AT PSU, everything worked like charm. Seems, that these soundcards use -5V only when stereo sound (sb pro or SB16) is used. Older games with adlib and soundblaster (mono) support sound fine.
My last hope is opti chipset based soundcard, that i recive next week. If that doesnt work, i need some kind of voltage inverter that converts +5V to -5V. Ideas anyone, how to achieve that?

Reply 10 of 10, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It's not common but I've come across motherboards without ISA slots that have older (than the mobo) ISA based onboard sound chips that need the -5v to work.
They were either MSI or BioStar boards. Others may have done that too.

GRUMPY OLD FART - On Hiatus, sort'a
Mann-Made Global Warming. - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.
You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.