VOGONS

First post, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Does anyone know of any commonly available non-socket4 heatsink and clasp systems that will work for a socket 4 pentium 60? I'm assuming most Pentium 60/66's didn't have a glued on heatsink.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 1 of 12, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Most P60s used glue, because most of them came from OEMs. That's why it's hard to find them in good condition.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 4 of 12, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have one but I forget exactly what I used - I'll check this evening. Iirc I took one from an So5/7 system with a 'paperclip'-style clip and just bent it a bit to get it round the bigger socket.

Reply 7 of 12, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Would you be willing to upload a photo of this? I've never seen a socket 4 with a 486-style heatsink clasp.

Reply 8 of 12, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I also have one with plastic frame and one with the "bent" wire, see pic. The the frame goes with gold colered HS, the wire goes with the black HS.

Attachments

• IMG_0610.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_0610.jpg
    File size
    258.42 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 9 of 12, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Thank you. Very interesting. I've never seen one of those plastic clip mounts for a socket 4. The heatsink looks a bit small in area, does it cover the whole socket 4 pentium chip?

How much longer is the Z-clip for the Socket 4 than it is for Socket 5 heatsinks?

Reply 10 of 12, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yes both HS cover nearly all the top of the cpu but do not hang over on any side, the wire is about 1/4" longer than a standard socket 5/7 metal clip.
added: the straight part of the wire is 2-1/2" long, the heat sinks are right about 2-1/16" square. My P60 is almost exactly 2-1/8" square.

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 11 of 12, by auron

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

i have bent the clasp downwards on a "manhattan socket7/370 cooler" and managed to fit it on socket 4. it even fits on socket 7 just fine after the bending. i'm not sure if there's any long term issues with using this on socket 4 due to possibly too high mounting pressure, but it seemed fine for quick testing.

a word of caution though, on the batman's revenge board there is a tiny smd capacitor right under one of the plastic tabs which can break off very easily while mounting/unmounting the cooler. it happened to me and i was able to solder it back on, but it was very annoying due to the position.

i also have some other "bent wire" style socket 5/7 cooler like in Horun's post, but was not able to make it fit on socket4.

Reply 12 of 12, by PARKE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Back in 1993 I bought a pc with a Diamond VLB board that came with this contraption. Still have it, It looks flimsy but is actually very effective:

DX2-66sink.jpg
Filename
DX2-66sink.jpg
File size
100.1 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception