VOGONS

First post, by Auron359

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have an Asus P3B-F 440BX which i have been building my P3 system with, however when trying to test my Voodoo 5 5500 card nothing happens. I tried a brand new VGA cable still nothing and then i swapped it out for an Geforce 6200 which made the motherbaord make one long beep followed by 3 fast beeps.
I have finally figured out that if I unscrew the card from the bracket and "jiggle" the cards I will get lucky and everything works fine.
Kind of confused what is going on, part of me wonders if screwing in the bracket fully if pulling the opersite side of the card away from the AGP slot causing it to not work but even left alone its hit or mice.
Is this symptoms of a faulty AGP slot since it effects two different cards ?

Reply 1 of 8, by ShovelKnight

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Check the contacts inside the AGP slot, they may be bent and no longer making a good contact. Also check the solder joints on the backside of the motherboard for any signs of cracks etc.

Reply 2 of 8, by Auron359

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
ShovelKnight wrote:

Check the contacts inside the AGP slot, they may be bent and no longer making a good contact. Also check the solder joints on the backside of the motherboard for any signs of cracks etc.

I can't see any bend pins inside the AGP slot or any cracks on the solder joints, not sure if an AGP slot is meant to allower GPUS to me moved about to easily in the slot or not but it seams werid.

Reply 3 of 8, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

the geforce 6200 is probably an AGP 8x card, that probably won't work in the P3B-F as it only has AGP 2x
see also: Geforce 6200 in older systems... for example

have you tried the voodoo5 in another system?

Last edited by imi on 2019-11-27, 14:53. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 4 of 8, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Have you cleaned the contacts on the AGP slot and make sure the PCI variant cards work?

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 5 of 8, by Auron359

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
imi wrote:

the geforce 6200 is probably an AGP 8x card, that probably won't work in the P3B-F as it only has AGP 2x
see also: Geforce 6200 in older systems... for example

have you tried the voodoo5 in another system?

Yes the Voodoo 5 works fine as does the 6200 in my friends system and when i can get it to work on my motherboard it has no issues but as soon as you secure it in place..nope it doesn't like it at all.

Reply 6 of 8, by Auron359

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
bjwil1991 wrote:

Have you cleaned the contacts on the AGP slot and make sure the PCI variant cards work?

AGP slot has been cleaned twice now with no difference sadly, did manage to borrow my friends PCI GPU and it worked without issues unlike the AGP slot.

Reply 7 of 8, by dan86

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Auron359 wrote:
bjwil1991 wrote:

AGP slot has been cleaned twice now with no difference sadly, did manage to borrow my friends PCI GPU and it worked without issues unlike the AGP slot.

Is the bios set to boot up with the PCI card? try resetting the cmos or setting the default card to the AGP card in the bios.

Reply 8 of 8, by Auron359

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
dan86 wrote:
Auron359 wrote:
bjwil1991 wrote:

Is the bios set to boot up with the PCI card? try resetting the cmos or setting the default card to the AGP card in the bios.

Its a good thing I have the motherbaord manual book 🤣
By default it was set to AGP but obviously with the issues i mentinoed, changed it to PCI for my friends GPU and no issues were found.
Kind of looking like the AGP slot of buggered somehow .. voodoo 5 AGP only typical 🤣