VOGONS

Old software you miss the most

Topic actions

First post, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There is a lot of older software not able to run on newer computers and was thinking maybe a thread about your old favorites may be a good thing. Games excluded ! Post a screenshot or just a a quick description. One I think I miss most is Music Match jukebox. Have it running on my old Xp comp:

Attachments

• musicmatch.jpg
    Filename
    musicmatch.jpg
    File size
    291.1 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 1 of 30, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

XTreeGold (before the "for Windows" versions came out.)
It was a file manager with loads of features.
Yes I know there are modern clones but they just aren't the same.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XTree

Xtreegold-3.0.jpg
Filename
Xtreegold-3.0.jpg
File size
36.58 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

GRUMPY OLD FART - On Hiatus, sort'a
Mann-Made Global Warming. - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.
You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.

Reply 2 of 30, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

oh boy I guess back when everyone ran XP, I used to use this winternals admin pack to reset Passwords that people forgot. Reseting passwords on win 10 is an entirely different thing, its actually easier but whatever.

Reply 3 of 30, by God Of Gaming

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I really miss the old skype from before microsoft took over, it was such a great app for both chatting/calling and also for sending files to your friends, and it was all done triple-encrypted p2p, none of that cloud shite. I have yet to find a good replacement, one probably doesnt currently exist.

1999 Dream PC project | DirectX 8 PC project | 2003 Dream PC project

Reply 4 of 30, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
God Of Gaming wrote:

I really miss the old skype from before microsoft took over, it was such a great app for both chatting/calling and also for sending files to your friends, and it was all done triple-encrypted p2p, none of that cloud shite. I have yet to find a good replacement, one probably doesnt currently exist.

It started going downhill a good while before Microsoft took over, but Microsoft only made it worse. And, no, a good replacement does not exist. There are plenty of better messengers out there (WhatsApp, Telegram, etc), but for video calls and PC integration they are nowhere near where Skype was 10 years ago.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 5 of 30, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

DOS Command Center. Probably not widely known, as it was a German clone of Norton Commander, but much better. These days, I'm still using the Windows Command Center from 2001, but that does not compare at all to the good old DOS version.

Reply 6 of 30, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I do NOT miss ICQ..... OH-OH! OH-OH! OH-OH! Going on the whole day when receiving messages 😵 Messenger is also not missed for the same reasons...even whatsapp is less intruding 🤣

asus tx97-e, 233mmx, voodoo1, s3 virge ,sb16
asus p5a, k6-3+ @ 550mhz, voodoo2 12mb sli, gf2 gts, awe32
asus p3b-f, p3-700, voodoo3 3500TV agp, awe64
asus tusl2-c, p3-S 1,4ghz, voodoo5 5500, live!
asus a7n8x DL, barton cpu, 6800ultra, Voodoo3 pci, audigy1

Reply 8 of 30, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If I limit myself to software that I would still want to install on a new system and not that I simply miss, (like XTree above, Love it but have no need on a modern system)

#1 Start Menu. Ok the currant windows 10 one isn't that, by why does it have to be dynamic? If its not indexed properly then your programs disappear as far as the general user is concerned.

#2 Outlook 2003 or 2010. Newer interfaces look cleaner but take more mouse clicks to get stuff done. 2003 was the best interface IMHO but 2010 was a better product and not change for change sake

#3 Nero 5. If I'm actually mastering a CD the File Manager like view in Nero is nice and clear, admittedly I don't do much of this anymore so maybe a good modern alternative

Bonus
Blackberry Enterprise Server. Server side configuration is always better then user side! Active Sync just means I get people who have no interest in IT come up and ask me to config their device which means I have to stop what I'm doing or make a note of their phone and email login's

Reply 10 of 30, by Gered

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
meljor wrote:

I do NOT miss ICQ..... OH-OH! OH-OH! OH-OH! Going on the whole day when receiving messages 😵

The ICQ "OH-OH!" sound has been my phone's notification sound for years now. I like seeing people's faces light up when they recognize the sound and get all nostalgic, haha.

486DX2-66/16MB/S3 Trio32 VLB/SBPro2/GUS
P233 MMX/64MB/Voodoo2/Matrox/YMF719/GUS CD3
Duron 800/256MB/Savage4 Pro/SBLive (IN PROGRESS)
Toshiba 430CDT

Reply 11 of 30, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
God Of Gaming wrote:

yup, when skype was still p2p it was such a nice chat program, I miss that too, even now they still manage to make it worse with every new update, and no I also don't know of a suitable replacement unfortunately.

Reply 12 of 30, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Horun wrote:

There is a lot of older software not able to run on newer computers

No.
One way or another, modern computers can run pretty much any old program.

However, old software is usually useless because it doesn't support modern file formats, protocols, etc.
This problem especially affects Internet-related software.

So I can say I miss eg. Netscape Communicator 4.xx - I still can run it, but it's useless on the modern Internet.
Heh, maybe what I actually miss is the Internet of the 90s?

Żywotwór planetarny, jego gnijące błoto, jest świtem egzystencji, fazą wstępną, i wyłoni się z krwawych ciastomózgowych miedź miłująca...

Reply 13 of 30, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Grzyb wrote:

One way or another, modern computers can run pretty much any old program.

No, it can't. Since the switch from Win9x/ME to XP (and hence to the NT-line), DOS is gone. Since the switch to 64-bit, no 16-bit applications can be executed anymore. So on your modern computer, you can not run any DOS applications, nor any 16-bit Windows applications, incl. early stuff for Windows 95, which often had 16-bit components.

And with the latest UEFI and GPT instead of MBR, secure boot, USB with no legacy option, SATA with no IDE emulation, etc., you even lost the possibility to boot into older OS'es. So no, modern computers can *not* run pretty much any old program. (emulation aside)

Modern computers stopped being "IBM compatible" years ago.

Reply 15 of 30, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Gered wrote:
meljor wrote:

I do NOT miss ICQ..... OH-OH! OH-OH! OH-OH! Going on the whole day when receiving messages 😵

The ICQ "OH-OH!" sound has been my phone's notification sound for years now. I like seeing people's faces light up when they recognize the sound and get all nostalgic, haha.

Where can I get that ringtone for my iPhone??? Pleaaaaase hahaha

"Design isn't just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
JOBS, Steve.
READ: Right to Repair sucks and is illegal!

Reply 16 of 30, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I miss MSN Messenger, with its bells and whistles. The button to call someone’s attention in a conversation, the possibility of using your subnick to show what you were doing/listening to...

I also miss Netscape Communicator, best browser I had ever used instead of Crapnet Exploder.

"Design isn't just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
JOBS, Steve.
READ: Right to Repair sucks and is illegal!

Reply 17 of 30, by Andrew T.

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
  • Windows 95 without Internet Explorer shell integration (or without Internet Explorer at all). The last gasp of the days when users had full and unilateral control of their own computers, and full control of what software was installed on them.
  • Netscape Navigator 1.1-3.04. The gold standard (no pun intended) for web browser interface and performance. 3.04 was still semi-usable for browsing much of the web as late as 2001 or so.
  • Mozilla Firefox 1.x. The revival of Netscape 3 for the new millennium! Intuitive UI, ran happily on everything back to Windows 95 if you had enough RAM. The last groundswell of enthusiasm I ever had for a new tech product.
  • AIM 4.x. Ran on Win95, didn't require IE, and needed but a tiny percentage of the overhead that Skype requires for instant messaging today. Was the default communications medium in my social circle around 2005 or so, but gradually became useless when the users started drifting away.
  • Windows Paintbrush (not Paint) as a standard bundled accessory. It stimulated creativity in a way that no other paint program could.
  • WordPerfect for Windows. (It still exists, but I haven't seen it deployed in an enterprise or been handed a .WPD file in years.)
  • Microsoft Office 2003 and earlier. (Curse the ribbon! I still use Office 97 on Windows 7 at home; but as with WordPerfect, I haven't seen it deployed in an enterprise in years.)

Reply 18 of 30, by Gered

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
bfcastello wrote:
Gered wrote:
meljor wrote:

Where can I get that ringtone for my iPhone??? Pleaaaaase hahaha

Here you go! I dunno what formats iPhones allow as ringtones / notification sounds, but I'm sure you could convert this if necessary.

486DX2-66/16MB/S3 Trio32 VLB/SBPro2/GUS
P233 MMX/64MB/Voodoo2/Matrox/YMF719/GUS CD3
Duron 800/256MB/Savage4 Pro/SBLive (IN PROGRESS)
Toshiba 430CDT