VOGONS

First post, by Miphee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It's a green screen Philips BM7502/00G.
Is there an ISA interface card that allows me to use it with my 8088 clone?

Attachments

Reply 1 of 18, by Vynix

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Looks like it's just a Composite monitor, so if you have a card that has a composite video output, it should work with this monitor.

Proud owner of a Shuttle HOT-555A 430VX motherboard and two wonderful retro laptops, namely a Compaq Armada 1700 [nonfunctional] and a HP Omnibook XE3-GC [fully working :p]

Reply 4 of 18, by Miphee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I need to make a compromise because green phosphor monochrome monitors are super rare here.
I have a few CGA cards but how do I know if it's a composite output or a simple feature connector?

Reply 5 of 18, by Vynix

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If you connect the monitor to a "Feature Connector" it shouldn't do anything, but if it shows something, then it's a video output.

Proud owner of a Shuttle HOT-555A 430VX motherboard and two wonderful retro laptops, namely a Compaq Armada 1700 [nonfunctional] and a HP Omnibook XE3-GC [fully working :p]

Reply 7 of 18, by HanJammer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Vynix wrote:

If you connect the monitor to a "Feature Connector" it shouldn't do anything, but if it shows something, then it's a video output.

I don't think CGA cards had feature connectors like EGAs... just a composite output. It may require flipping some dip switches to output to one though. Also for gaming composite out is preferred over RGB.

New items (October/November 2022) -> My Items for Sale
I8v8PGb.jpg

Reply 10 of 18, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Depends what games...
Composite provides more colors, RGB - sharper image.
Some games look better with more colors, but others use detailed graphics that's only clearly visible on RGB monitors.

Nie tylko, jak widzicie, w tym trudność, że nie zdołacie wejść na moją górę, lecz i w tym, że ja do was cały zejść nie mogę, gdyż schodząc, gubię po drodze to, co miałem donieść.

Reply 12 of 18, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
HanJammer wrote:

[...]

Also for gaming composite out is preferred over RGB.

...in colour, with NTSC.

For a mono monitor all it gets you is a slightly fuzzier picture.

That said, I get the impression that almost all the mono monitors you see in Europe are composite, TTL seem as rare as hen's teeth (not that TTL colour is any more common though, I just gave up and went for MCE2VGA eventually)

Reply 13 of 18, by Vynix

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I remember that with monochrome monitors, it's usually preferable to send the Luma signal to it, as they won't process the chroma correctly, resulting in artifacts on the image.

Reply 14 of 18, by HanJammer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dionb wrote:
...in colour, with NTSC. […]
Show full quote
HanJammer wrote:

[...]

Also for gaming composite out is preferred over RGB.

...in colour, with NTSC.

For a mono monitor all it gets you is a slightly fuzzier picture.

That said, I get the impression that almost all the mono monitors you see in Europe are composite, TTL seem as rare as hen's teeth (not that TTL colour is any more common though, I just gave up and went for MCE2VGA eventually)

Ah, true.I havn't noticed it's PAL.

New items (October/November 2022) -> My Items for Sale
I8v8PGb.jpg

Reply 15 of 18, by Benedikt

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
jmarsh wrote:

Correct me if I'm wrong but CGA used *NTSC* composite and that looks like a PAL monitor (220V/50Hz).

CGA did indeed output an NTSC composite signal. But this is definitely not a PAL monitor, since PAL is merely the color TV standard and this is clearly a monochrome screen.
That being said, the vertical size and vertical hold adjustments are probably set to 625 lines at 50Hz rather than 525 lines at 60Hz, so you'd have to play with those knobs on the back of the device.

Reply 16 of 18, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Vynix wrote:

I remember that with monochrome monitors, it's usually preferable to send the Luma signal to it, as they won't process the chroma correctly, resulting in artifacts on the image.

true

Reply 18 of 18, by pewpewpew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dionb wrote:

So... the TTL on the Commodore 1080 isn't applicable? [OR perhaps these have gone much more rare than I would have guessed.