VOGONS

First post, by Violett'Blossom

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello everyone,
My family gifted me this laptop in new like condition, after about two months of it collecting dust I finally get to get him working like new again. It's the 800MHz model.

These are the things I need help with. 😊

Is there any way to lube the fan in cooling assembly ?

I would love to have windows 98 quick restore CD instead of hunting drivers myself since there a lot of E500 flavours are out there. 😒 I haven't been able to find one for windows 98 only for Win 2000 which I don't like as much.

I would love to replace CMOS battery since this one has been long dead.

And for minor touches, any way how to get my hands on these pesky elliptical feet ? 😒

Thanks to all of you willing to help 😊

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Retro gaming : Compaq Armada E500
Portable : MacBook Air 2012
Hackingtosh : I5 6500 8GB DDR4 RX480 8GB

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Reply 1 of 4, by jaZz_KCS

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I don't have a clue regarding the original paired rescue CD for 98, which was probably paired with the laptop itself at one point...
But this site should have all the drivers you need for both 2k and 98, and amongst those 69 drivers you probably only need a handful.

You can see what the drivers are and just grab the basic/essential ones that you need like BIOS, graphics, sound, etc...

https://drivers.eu/Notebooks/HP/Compaq%20Armada%20e500

Due to the integrated nature of laptop peripherals, you probably need a few of these as they could be customized in some way, although for most devices, the official drivers for the fully fledged cards should also work.

Alternatively you can also get the drivers here, but on this site you cannot make out what the individual driver numbers represent, so the SoftPaq numbers from the first page are indeed handy.

https://www.helpjet.net/files-HP-Compaq-Armada-e500.html

Reply 2 of 4, by aaronkatrini

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Sorry for interfering with the restoration of your Armada. I have the same laptop bought recently but I need to find a power adapter to turn it on and test it. Can you please check the output voltages on your. Thanks in advance!

Reply 3 of 4, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
aaronkatrini wrote:

Sorry for interfering with the restoration of your Armada. I have the same laptop bought recently but I need to find a power adapter to turn it on and test it. Can you please check the output voltages on your. Thanks in advance!

Any 19V 3.42A charger will do. These don't eat that much.

I have one too (P3 650MHz model, ~256MB RAM) and it always worked using the charger from an Acer Aspire 5349, which was a 65W Delta, rated at 19V 3.42A.

"Enter at your own peril, past the bolted door..."
Main PC: i5 3470, GB B75M-D3H, 16GB RAM, 2x1TB
98SE : P3 650, Soyo SY-6BA+IV, 384MB RAM, 80GB

Reply 4 of 4, by Violett'Blossom

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
aaronkatrini wrote:

I have the original one with these values : 18.5 V 4.9A

I hope it helps 😊

Retro gaming : Compaq Armada E500
Portable : MacBook Air 2012
Hackingtosh : I5 6500 8GB DDR4 RX480 8GB