VOGONS

First post, by darkomen

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello all

Looking for a joystick for the Novalogic series of flight sims F22 Raptor, F16 Falcrum etc... I literally know nothing about flight sticks for this era of PC games so... Can anyone help?

Thanks

Reply 1 of 10, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

A Microsoft Sidewinder would be OK, I didn't like Logitech joysticks of that era.

Professional players would choose a Saitek X36, or a Thrustmaster Cougar.

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 2 of 10, by sf78

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yes, Sidewinder (one of them anyway) would be my choice too. They are great all-around sticks if you don't want to spend big bucks on a separate stick, throttle and pedals which you won't need in "light sims" such as these.

Reply 3 of 10, by darkomen

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks i will check them out. A throttle control would be nice, in certain missions you do need to land too which involves the break and gearing but then I expect there will be keys you can assign.

I will grab one for sure. Thanks again.

Reply 5 of 10, by sf78

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
darkomen wrote:

Thanks i will check them out. A throttle control would be nice, in certain missions you do need to land too which involves the break and gearing but then I expect there will be keys you can assign.

Sidewinders already have throttle control on the base of the stick. Some models also have the rudder pedals integrated on the stick, you just twist it from left to right to activate rudders.

Reply 7 of 10, by pewpewpew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
derSammler wrote:

Microsoft Sidewinder Force Feedback Pro 😀

Hell Yes.

But if you're not one of the Lucky and Chosen when you go shopping, there are other MS Sidewinders to be aware of. Get any with throttle & twist-rudder & gameport and you're set. Wiki has a nice chart & pics.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_SideWinder

If you don't get force-feedback don't worry about it. You'll have plenty of fun. Someday you'll get a FFB and never want to go back. And that's fine - there's no need to rush through playtime.

Disclaimer: these days I have two MSFFB2, & a Precision 2 for parts for those, just in case. "I don't have a problem." (For gameport I still have my CH Flightstick, but really I should get a FFPro...)

Reply 8 of 10, by dann86

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm a big fan of the ThrustMaster FCS witch was rebranded as the top jun Joystick. I have a mark ii model myself. The base of my MarkII is very light and you may want to weight is down if you get one if you plan to play faster pace games like Mechwarrior or tie95.

Reply 9 of 10, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

But if you're not one of the Lucky and Chosen when you go shopping, there are other MS Sidewinders to be aware of.

Are these rare or expensive? A while back, I bought a large box of Microsoft game controllers for almost nothing and the box was filled with about 20 controllers. Mostly gamepads and the Sidewinder 3D, but also an FFPro and the FF Wheel + Pedals. Never checked how easy (or hard) they are to find these days. That reminds me that I still have to check and clean most of them. Oh well...

Reply 10 of 10, by pewpewpew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
derSammler wrote:

Are these rare or expensive?

I don't stay current, so one would have to check that. But the gameport & usb versions of these sticks are sorta legendary - they've a strong following in use and in reputation. Like Voodoos. So that, plus the recent uptick in demand for the increasingly rare 'retro' hardware... I'll be surprised if good ones aren't very lucky finds now.