VOGONS

First post, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Many 430TX motherboards state support for 75MHz (and in some cases 83MHz) CPUs. Do these boards run the PCI Bus within spec while doing so, or does the PCI frequency also get an unintended proportional overclock?

Also, how does this work for non-Intel chipsets such as Aladdin IV+, VIA VPX etc.?

Asking because I'm trying to pick a board for a Cyrix mII..

EDIT: After some digging around in Google I came across this site: http://www.pchardwarelinks.com/chipsets_pentium.htm Painfully shows that there are nearly no Socket 7 Chipsets that have a 2/5 PCI divider. Actually, nothing aside from Aladdin IV seems to have a divider for Socket 7, and Aladdin V, 7 and VIA MVP3 and MVP4 are the only ones that have it for SS7.. Aladdin IV+ for me it is, then.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 1 of 14, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

PCI is overclocked at 75 and 83MHz. 75 is usually not a big issue, but 83 can be. I wouldn't recommend 83MHz on a TX motherboard.

Non-Intel chipsets could find ways to keep PCI in spec when the system bus was being overclocked, but that usually meant it was being run asynchronously, so a pretty big performance penalty was usually the result.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 2 of 14, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Overclocked PCI is quite desirable for 3D accelerators.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 3 of 14, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

This will be for a fast DOS PC, so no 3D acceleration will be used. It will be running Quake in software mode though. CPU is an mII-PR266GP (2x75MHz). So am I better off going with a 430TX board or an Aladdin IV+ for this build?

Reply 4 of 14, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

VIA and Alladin chipsets (pre-SuperSocket7) are slower.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 5 of 14, by HanJammer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
appiah4 wrote:

This will be for a fast DOS PC, so no 3D acceleration will be used.

But you know, that DOS gaming is where 3dfx Voodoo and Voodoo 2 really shines, right? 😀

New items (October/November 2022) -> My Items for Sale
I8v8PGb.jpg

Reply 6 of 14, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
HanJammer wrote:
appiah4 wrote:

This will be for a fast DOS PC, so no 3D acceleration will be used.

But you know, that DOS gaming is where 3dfx Voodoo and Voodoo 2 really shines, right? 😀

Aside from Tomb Raider and Screamer 2 I don't know of any other DOS glide games I would be really interested in..

Reply 7 of 14, by bakemono

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

nearly no Socket 7 Chipsets that have a 2/5 PCI divider. Actually, nothing aside from Aladdin IV seems to have a divider for Socket 7

PCChips M537 (the one with VIA VP) can set the PCI to 33MHz when using 75/83MHz bus.

CPU is an mII-PR266GP (2x75MHz)

Surely it's a 2.5x multiplier?

37MHz PCI is unlikely to be a problem, I used it a lot back in the day. As far as video cards go, my Trident 9680 works at 60MHz PCI so who knows.

Reply 8 of 14, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
bakemono wrote:

nearly no Socket 7 Chipsets that have a 2/5 PCI divider. Actually, nothing aside from Aladdin IV seems to have a divider for Socket 7

PCChips M537 (the one with VIA VP) can set the PCI to 33MHz when using 75/83MHz bus.

Well.. Are you sure the option to lock it actually works? Because the page I linked above says only VPX and VPX/97 can run 75MHz and only at 1/2 divider or Asynch (whatever that implies?)

bakemono wrote:

CPU is an mII-PR266GP (2x75MHz)

Surely it's a 2.5x multiplier?

37MHz PCI is unlikely to be a problem, I used it a lot back in the day. As far as video cards go, my Trident 9680 works at 60MHz PCI so who knows.

Yeah it's 2.5x my bad 😀 I'm pretty excited about trying a Cyrix mII for DOS actually..

Reply 9 of 14, by zyga64

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Something built upon SiS 5595 chipset may be good choice for Cyrix, because of chipset optimization especially for Cyrix. I had Gigabyte GA-586SG, but there is also ATX variant of it GA-586SGM and 100MHz supported version GA-5SG100.

1) VLSI SCAMP /286@20 /4M /CL-GD5422 /CMI8330
2) i420EX /486DX33 /16M /TGUI9440 /GUS+ALS100+MT32PI
3) i430FX /K6-2@400 /64M /Rage Pro PCI /ES1370+YMF718
4) i440BX /P!!!750 /256M /MX440 /SBLive!
5) iB75 /3470s /4G /HD7750 /HDA

Reply 10 of 14, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
appiah4 wrote:

This will be for a fast DOS PC, so no 3D acceleration will be used. It will be running Quake in software mode though. CPU is an mII-PR266GP (2x75MHz). So am I better off going with a 430TX board or an Aladdin IV+ for this build?

If you can find a good board with it, the Aladdin IV+ is definitely the better choice, with divider options and clock-for-clock the highest performance of any So7 chipset. However good boards with Aladdin IV+ are few and far between; I've usually seen it on limited Acer OEM boards or on shoddy PC-Chips things. That said, the fastest So7 board I ever benchmarked was the PC-Chips M560. It seemed stable even despite low build quality. Biostars' M5ATA was vastly better-built, but even with all settings tuned it was 11% slower that the M560. That still put it on par with the fastest i430TX boards I had.

Note regarding PCI dividers: you don't have to use them - so if you want to OC the PCI bus for more performance, having the option to divide down the PCI speed doesn't stop you trying.

Reply 13 of 14, by bakemono

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well.. Are you sure the option to lock it actually works? Because the page I linked above says only VPX and VPX/97 can run 75MHz and only at 1/2 divider or Asynch (whatever that implies?)

Well, it's not like I checked it with a scope at the PCI slot, but changing the jumper between 33MHz or FSB/2 did show some difference in benchmarks.

again another retro game on itch: https://90soft90.itch.io/shmup-salad

Reply 14 of 14, by rmay635703

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Pcchips m571 has both synch and asynch

I always rAn overclocked pci 83mhz FSB, good speed bump with decent pc100 sdram.

Too bad I had to run an old bios to fit 256mb of sdram though.