VOGONS

First post, by mpe

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have a 486 board where the L2 cache configured either in single-bank 512kB (4x 128Kx8) or dual-bank 256kB (8x 32Kx8) configuration.

It doesn't look like the board supports 1024kB as there are only short DIP28 sockets in bank 1 limiting the maximum size of chips. So the option is either 512kB or interleaved 256kB.

I wondered if anyone benchmarked single vs dual bank L2 whether the one or the other gives better overall performance.

Blog|NexGen 586|S4

Reply 1 of 4, by GigAHerZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

First, what board do you have?

Second, are you able to do some benchmarks on your own?

"640K ought to be enough for anybody." - And i intend to get every last bit out of it even after loading every damn driver!

Reply 2 of 4, by mpe

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It's Shuttle HOT-419.

I suppose I could do the benchmarking, but I am currently out of 128Kx8 SRAMs so was hoping someone already checked that.

My expectation is that the bigger cache should win supposing it is able to maintain the same L2 timing as dual-bank (which shouldn't be taken for granted).

Blog|NexGen 586|S4

Reply 3 of 4, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

How much ram do you have ? 256K can easily cache 64MB or more of ram assuming the TAG is big enough. I doubt you will see more than a few percent difference in most benchmarks between 256k and 512k cache on a 486 limited to 128Mb ram. As far as single bank versus dual bank cache: I do not think you will see much difference, about same as using one main memory bank versus 2 on a 486, just my opinion....

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 4 of 4, by GigAHerZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

@Horun, if you are able to enable dirty bit inside the existing tag chip (in contrary to adding a dirty cache chip), then it cuts the cached memory into half - 32MB.

At the same time, having 4x32MB 72pin simms in such machine is easily achievable and maybe even desireable. (The uncached top part of ram can be used as ramdisk)

"640K ought to be enough for anybody." - And i intend to get every last bit out of it even after loading every damn driver!