VOGONS

First post, by auron

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

when i went to test this board with an adaptec aha-2940uw, everything seemed to work fine at first until i got a first black screen after exiting the SCSI BIOS menu (iirc). the board still booted up after a reset, but i got another black screen after another reboot, and since then the board has been dead. i once got a few very long beeps out of it when putting the graphics card in a certain slot, but that's it.

i then remembered briefly hearing about a possibility of system BIOS being overwritten by a SCSI BIOS, is this true? the flash write protection jumper was at its factory position to enable flash updates (disable protection), which is another hint in this direction, but this still seems very odd to me. could it be some sort of incompatibility issue with these early boards and SCSI cards w/ own bios? anyway, if true i suppose it should not be a big deal to prepare a recovery disk and bring the board back to life again.

i should also mention i did test the p60 cpu in another board afterwards and it booted up.

Reply 1 of 1, by auron

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

board is working again after using batrevrd.exe (http://files.mpoli.fi/hardware/ROM/OTHER/), the flashing was very easy and straightforward. the only difference is that this bios looks different from whatever was on there originally and has slower memory counting for some reason.