VOGONS

First post, by CapitanOdessa

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello! I am fairly new in these retro-rigs, and I am going to try slotkets for the first time. My motherboard is a MS-6163 VER.1, which doesn't officially support Coppermine, but later BIOS revisions allowed the VER.2 to do so. The BIOS are interchangeable, I think, for VER1 and VER2. The question is... I got a pair of slotkets for five dollars and I wanted to know whether it was possible to run a coppermine CPU there. My idea is to run one that reaches 1ghz.

Here are the slokets

First one
INSStpU.png

Second one
0Q5t9c5.png
MnZZnlC.png

Are these any good? One of them have voltage regulator.

Thing is, my motherboard doesn't accept bus speeds higher than 100mhz, and the processors they sell in my country are all 133mhz, do you guys thing I will be able to do anything combining the slotket and the mobo, or should I dessist and find a better one?

As a side question, can I flash a BIOS from a CD? I can boot from a CD, but the BIOS readme wanted me to use a diskette, and make it bootable from cmd.

Reply 1 of 7, by PARKE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The 370SPC Rev.1.0 that I have here ran every Coppermine including an 1100 Celeron on various 440BX motherboards so I assume that your Rev2.0 will be fine too,
Your MS-6163 VER.1 is probably not limited to FSB 100 - that seems to be the standard requirement that is listed in manuals while everything above is qualified as overclocking. Some time ago I had an MS-6163 Pro that went all the way up to FSB 150.

slotket01.JPG
Filename
slotket01.JPG
File size
298.89 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 2 of 7, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Coppermine processors often require 1.65 Volt to operate. Slotkets cannot convert voltage**, only adjust the Voltage request signal. Older 440BX motherboards may have an older Voltage regulator module on the board that cannot go below 1,70 Volts, or was it 1,80 Volt? Anyways, In that case you have to overvolt the CPU or replace the VRM chip on the motherboard.

** Except one powerleap model.

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul

Reply 3 of 7, by CapitanOdessa

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
gerwin wrote:

Coppermine processors often require 1.65 Volt to operate. Slotkets cannot convert voltage**, only adjust the Voltage request signal. Older 440BX motherboards may have an older Voltage regulator module on the board that cannot go below 1,70 Volts, or was it 1,80 Volt? Anyways, In that case you have to overvolt the CPU or replace the VRM chip on the motherboard.

Oh, so the voltage regulator has nothing to do with it? What is it there for? I don't know if I can lower the voltage from 2.00v in my motherboard. Is there any danger of breaking something if I test different chips?

Reply 4 of 7, by PARKE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The VRM on your motherboard can be:
VRM 8.1 // 1.8V ~ 3.5V
or
VRM 8.4 // 1.3V ~ 2.05V

The 8.1 is the earlier version and in that case if your board actually works with Coppermine the cpu will be a bit overvolted.
The faster Coppermines run on 1.75 volt and 1.8 volt should not be a problem if the cooling is ok.

In between the cpu socket and the LPT/serial port there is a chip that regulates the voltage.
If you post the number (something like for example [ HIP6020ACB ] or [ US3007CW ] etc. we can probably/maybe figure out what type of VRM you have on your board.

According to the MSI manual, page 3-28 it seems that you can adjust the voltage via the BIOS.

Last edited by PARKE on 2019-12-20, 14:02. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 5 of 7, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
CapitanOdessa wrote:

Oh, so the voltage regulator has nothing to do with it? What is it there for? I don't know if I can lower the voltage from 2.00v in my motherboard. Is there any danger of breaking something if I test different chips?

Neither of your slotkets has any VRM on it. The first one jas jumpers that simply send a signal to your motherboard's VRM as to how to adjust its voltage. See the other explanations above.

Here's a picture of a slotket with VRM:

img_0700_165.jpg

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 6 of 7, by kaputnik

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
CapitanOdessa wrote:
gerwin wrote:

Assuming that you jumper the slotket correctly for voltages suitable for those particular chips, there's no danger. The VRM simply won't output anything if it gets a VID signal it doesn't understand, and the computer won't boot. No combinations are reused for other voltages in newer VRMs, voltages below 1.8 uses additional unique combinations. The same jumper settings will always result in the same voltage (if supported), no matter which board/VRM you use the slotket with.

Personally I'd try to boot a Coppermine at 1.8V - it'll survive a slight overvoltage for a few seconds - just to see that everything works, and then set the slotket to whatever voltage the CPU is specified for. If it boots, then congrats, if not, the VRM probably doesn't support voltages below 1.8 😀

Edit: compare the VID tables on page 9 in the VRM 8.3 and 8.4 design guidelines docs, and you'll get it 😀

Reply 7 of 7, by PARKE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kaputnik wrote:

Edit: compare the VID tables on page 9 in the VRM 8.3 and 8.4 design guidelines docs, and you'll get it 😀

Small correction - not relevant for the thread though - is that the VRM 8.3 guideline is for Xeons and dual cpu setups.

A maybe somewhat more comprehensive list looks like this:
Original (Pentium II): VRM 8.1 // 1.8V ~ 3.5V
PII/PIII/Celeron: VRM 8.2 (8.2-1 through 8.2-4 // 1.3V ~ 3.5V
Xeon/DualSlot1 VRM 8.3 // 1.3V ~ 3.5V
Coppermine VRM 8.4 // 1.3V ~ 2.05V
Tualatin VRM 8.5 // 1.05 ~ 1.825