VOGONS

First post, by pan069

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

On my 286 and 386 I was using a typical serial mouse (a Microsoft mouse to be exact) which worked great. On my Pentium II I was using a PS/2 mouse, also working great.

So, I came across this PS/2 - Serial adaptor (see image) which made me think I could probably use the PS/2 mouse for all machines instead of mouse flipping. So I got two adaptors, one for the 286 and the other for the 386.

But... Using the PS/2 serial adaptor doesn't seem to work. When the mouse driver is loaded it says the mouse cannot be found. Bummer. Does the adaptor simply not work or might I have to try another mouse driver?

My current mouse driver:

Microsoft (R) Mouse Driver Version 8.20

Loading my mouse driver in autoexec.bat:

LH C:\DOS\MOUSE.COM

tKOJZZB.jpg

Reply 1 of 13, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Your mouse has to support the serial protocol for that adapter to work.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 2 of 13, by pan069

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
cyclone3d wrote:

Ah. OK. But yes, its a PS/2 mouse, so why should it support the serial protocol? Would any PS/2 mouse be able to do this? You'd think that the support would be in the adaptor...

Reply 3 of 13, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The adaptor is a passive one, just wires to put simply.
It's the mouse that has to support both protocols like cyclone3d mentions.
You are better off with some serial->ps2 adapter , there are several flavors here from matze79, madowax, rio444...

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 5 of 13, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
cyclone3d wrote:

Dexxa three button mice, for instance.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 6 of 13, by pan069

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
gdjacobs wrote:

Dexxa three button mice, for instance.

Interesting. Did some googling for these, they are out there but they don't seem to have a scroll wheel, something I'd like since I'd use the mouse on a different range of systems.

Are any "active" adaptors out there on which any PS/2 mouse can be used?

Reply 7 of 13, by digger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
pan069 wrote:
gdjacobs wrote:

Are any "active" adaptors out there on which any PS/2 mouse can be used?

As keropi already mentioned further above, there are several such projects on Vogons from several people.

One such project is the "8BIT ISA SERIAL I/O TO PS2 MOUSE" card by forum member Madowax. Have a look in this thread: 8BIT ISA SERIAL I/O TO PS2 MOUSE

Reply 8 of 13, by SirNickity

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have a feeling the point wasn't clear enough above. Let me sum up:

There are three primary interfaces for mice: Serial (RS-232), PS/2, and USB. (Also bus mice and some other less popular interfaces, but let's ignore them for now.) These three protocols are entirely different, and have different physical connectors (obviously). Some passive adapters exist to change the plug and wiring, but it does not translate the protocol at all. Those passive adapters are intended to be used with mice that have a controller chip inside that natively supports multiple protocols, and can determine which is being used by the signalling levels or how the system probes for a connected device.

During the transition from serial mice to PS/2, it was common to buy a mouse with either plug on the end of the cable, and it would ship with a passive adapter to connect to the other. The mouse itself would automatically adapt to whatever interface it was plugged in to, possibly via the adapter. Same happened with the transition from PS/2 to USB.

So, there do exist a lot of multi-lingual mice, but you have to know for sure your model can, and which protocols it supports. If it's a new mouse -- like, XP and up -- it probably doesn't support anything but USB, since by that time, USB had pretty thoroughly taken over from PS/2. Also, not all adapters are wired up the same way, since this was never a standard. There were probably some common arrangements (as there tend to be), but any manufacturer could design their adapter to do whatever they chose to do.

The solution is to have an active circuit, which natively speaks both protocols, and translates accordingly. There are community projects (linked above) and commercial products that do this, although they are not as common as you would think. The exception is anything-to-USB. You can get a USB-to-serial adapter or a USB-to-PS/2 adapter pretty easily, but this only allows newer USB-only computers to use legacy serial and PS/2 peripherals.

In comparison, PS/2 (computer) to USB (peripheral) is a relatively complicated problem to solve, requiring a micrcontroller with a full USB Host stack. Even then, it's not a guaranteed success since USB can and does implement standard (driver-less) device classes, but can also require specific drivers to support functionality beyond the absolute basics. (This is why you might see a commercial adapter say something like "does not support wireless KB/mouse.")

Serial (computer) to PS/2 (mouse) is more straight-forward, but there aren't a lot of products on the market to do it. Nobody has cared for a long time about serial mice, except for communities like this, and so communities like this are where you'll find home-brew solutions.

Hope that helps.

Reply 9 of 13, by pan069

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
SirNickity wrote:

Hope that helps.

Thank you. Very helpful!

Looking into various options now. The idea is to have my 286 and 386 mice connected to my PS/2 only KVM switch (along with my other machines) so I can use a single PS/2 mouse (and keyboard) on all machines.

Reply 10 of 13, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Most KVMs have no idea what COM port mouse protocol is and only some sort of active adapter will be able to help, in worst case you'll outright damage the PS/2 port on the KVM since COM port uses +/-12V signalling. You'll need to see if COM port support is explicitly supported by the KVM you use, and if yes, they'll also probably want a particular type of dongle too (there are several types around), part numbers of suitable things should be listed too.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 11 of 13, by pan069

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tiido wrote:

Most KVMs have no idea what COM port mouse protocol is and only some sort of active adapter will be able to help, in worst case you'll outright damage the PS/2 port on the KVM since COM port uses +/-12V signalling. You'll need to see if COM port support is explicitly supported by the KVM you use, and if yes, they'll also probably want a particular type of dongle too (there are several types around), part numbers of suitable things should be listed too.

Thanks for that.

Since the PS/2 mouse didn't work directly on PS/2 - Serial adaptor I have no illusions that the KVM switch will magically solve this issue since its another "passive" device.

Basically looking for a good solution to either stick between the KVM and PS/2-Serial adaptor or something that cuts out the adaptor I have altogether. Prefer something commercial, not a PCB solution with wires sticking out. 😀

Reply 12 of 13, by Thermalwrong

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Some KVMs do, the Belkin OmniView Pro KVMs, such as the F1D104 actually do have the ability to actively convert the PS/2 mouse signal to serial for the PCs connected up 😀
Those are very cheap to get hold of these days.

Reply 13 of 13, by SirNickity

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

KVMs are actually the most likely way to get a commercial product to do the conversion for you, since that's often why you need it done in the first place. Else, just use a serial mouse and be done with it. With a KVM involved, you're more likely to need both types, and so the KVM may offer that service to you.

That said, protocol conversion is still fairly rare. The higher end ones, used for industrial applications, are more likely to do it because they're not trying to be as cheap as possible. Some even have external I/O adapters that you can change out as needed -- but usually those are VGA+PS/2 or VGA+USB, not serial. Your best bet will be the second-hand market.