VOGONS

First post, by jackmtech

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello all,

This is my first post so if there are any issues please kindly tell me.
Anyway, today I was looking at the dumpster find PCs and I wanted to get one of my own.
Searching online just brings up number to call to bring your stuff there. If there is anyone who is Dutch or who has some idea where I can find
some of these dumps, please remind me.
If there is nothing like this here then I am doomed. Then also please link me to some thrift/used shop which focus on PCs and PC parts.
P.S.: I live in Arnhem.

Jackmtech

Reply 2 of 12, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
jackmtech wrote:

Searching online just brings up number to call to bring your stuff there.

Probably because that's what dumps/dumpsters are for. In most countries, it's even theft to take stuff from there.

Beside of that, don't you get information from your local waste disposal organization where such dumps are? If not, NL is an odd country.

Reply 4 of 12, by jackmtech

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
JvV wrote:

Doomed because? Marktplaats etc, you can also buy stuff and when you have some stuff trade it 😉

Oh yeah, totally forgot about that! 😐
But from what I have seen, recycling centers give you their stuff for free, but Marktplaats has some things overpriced compared to ebay for some stuff, but i'm not willing to pay more than 40 euros on old hardware.

Reply 5 of 12, by red_avatar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
jackmtech wrote:
JvV wrote:

Doomed because? Marktplaats etc, you can also buy stuff and when you have some stuff trade it 😉

Oh yeah, totally forgot about that! 😐
But from what I have seen, recycling centers give you their stuff for free, but Marktplaats has some things overpriced compared to ebay for some stuff, but i'm not willing to pay more than 40 euros on old hardware.

BENELUX is full of people demanding way too much money for their stuff. Even with extra shipping it's often easier to get it shipped from across Europe.

And I'd love a recycling center nearby where I could get old hardware but the hardware you get from those dumps is 99% PCs from the last 15 years, usually very very cheap PC builds with terrible components that are worthless.

Retro game fanatic.
IBM PS1 386SX25 - 4MB
IBM Aptiva 486SX33 - 8MB - 2GB CF - SB16
IBM PC350 P233MMX - 64MB - 32GB SSD - AWE64 - Voodoo2
PIII600 - 320MB - 480GB SSD - SB Live! - GF4 Ti 4200
i5-2500k - 3GB - SB Audigy 2 - HD 4870

Reply 7 of 12, by SpectriaForce

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
jackmtech wrote:

But from what I have seen, recycling centers give you their stuff for free

Maybe in eastern Europe, but not in The Netherlands where e-waste recycling companies have to follow the rules.

Reply 8 of 12, by SpectriaForce

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
red_avatar wrote:

BENELUX is full of people demanding way too much money for their stuff.

'Demanding'? You mean that they ask a price. You can always try to negotiate if you don't like the price. I do that all the time with sellers and buyers.

Reply 9 of 12, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

15 years ago, NL was full of places you are looking for. I can't comment on situation in Arnhem, but back then thrift shops Eindeloos/Piekfijn in Rotterdam had a corner full of PCBs in every location, Roetersdok in Amsterdam not only had a whole room dedicated to computer stuff but a complete technical staff dedicated to fixing stuff and promoting Linux. Closer to your neck of the woods, Het Goed in Nijmegen on the Burchtstraat had a nice little corner too. Fast forward to now and Roetersdok went bankrupt, the huge tubs with boards and cards of all varieties have disappeared at Piekfijn and after Het Goed moved out of the center of Nijmegen to an industrial area in the west of town they basically stopped doing anything more than a few uninteresting complete PCs.

The only place within 50kms of Arnhem I'm aware of is also in Nijmegen, Stichting Overal, on the Bredestraat. An oddball thrift shop run by a bunch of hippies, they still have big piles of barely sorted stuff for usually very decent prices.

Reply 10 of 12, by SpectriaForce

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dionb wrote:

back then thrift shops Eindeloos/Piekfijn in Rotterdam had a corner full of PCBs in every location

Those days are over. Yes, 15 years ago I could indeed quite easily find old 90's pc hardware and even home computers like Commodore 64 and game consoles like Atari 2600 in local thrift stores (Rotterdam area). Everything was priced affordable and they did not look up almost every item on the interwebz. Since 2007 or so the supply has gradually dried out. Now all I can find are black keyboards, printers without ink cartridges and LCD's. Some do still offer complete pc's, but they are all at best 10 years old. Once in a while I still manage to find a serial mouse, a beige CD-ROM drive, a PCI or AGP card or a vintage CD-ROM game, but those are exceptions (and take a lot of luck, cost time and gas money). Even 1980's CRT televisions are now becoming rare finds in thrift stores (I used to buy them). It's so much easier to buy stuff online instead of spending a lot of time (which I don't mind) and more importantly a lot of petrol.

Reply 11 of 12, by jackmtech

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
SpectriaForce wrote:
dionb wrote:

back then thrift shops Eindeloos/Piekfijn in Rotterdam had a corner full of PCBs in every location

Those days are over. Yes, 15 years ago I could indeed quite easily find old 90's pc hardware and even home computers like Commodore 64 and game consoles like Atari 2600 in local thrift stores (Rotterdam area). Everything was priced affordable and they did not look up almost every item on the interwebz. Since 2007 or so the supply has gradually dried out. Now all I can find are black keyboards, printers without ink cartridges and LCD's. Some do still offer complete pc's, but they are all at best 10 years old. Once in a while I still manage to find a serial mouse, a beige CD-ROM drive, a PCI or AGP card or a vintage CD-ROM game, but those are exceptions (and take a lot of luck, cost time and gas money). Even 1980's CRT televisions are now becoming rare finds in thrift stores (I used to buy them). It's so much easier to buy stuff online instead of spending a lot of time (which I don't mind) and more importantly a lot of petrol.

I guess I will HAVE to resort to EBay or Marktplaats for now, or until I see a old computer by the side of the road.
Is it the same situation in Germany?

Reply 12 of 12, by red_avatar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
SpectriaForce wrote:
red_avatar wrote:

BENELUX is full of people demanding way too much money for their stuff.

'Demanding'? You mean that they ask a price. You can always try to negotiate if you don't like the price. I do that all the time with sellers and buyers.

I do that too but the answer I usually get is "but on eBay I see them sell for €XXX". I then tell them "no, you see them on SALE for that price as a "BUY NOW", and you're giving the higher prices, not the lower ones. They sell for half that at auction". Their reply: "Well get one from the auction then". 😠 I always always get better deals from outside the BENELUX.

Retro game fanatic.
IBM PS1 386SX25 - 4MB
IBM Aptiva 486SX33 - 8MB - 2GB CF - SB16
IBM PC350 P233MMX - 64MB - 32GB SSD - AWE64 - Voodoo2
PIII600 - 320MB - 480GB SSD - SB Live! - GF4 Ti 4200
i5-2500k - 3GB - SB Audigy 2 - HD 4870