VOGONS

First post, by Demonslayer2103

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have a disability and I have a real interest in old computer parts since I was a kid I first built a computer when I was in 5th grade in 2010 and I have been hooked ever since I graduated high school in 2018 and struggled to find a job I got into a program to direct me to a training center for IC3 training that works with my disabilitys

I need help I have a huge interest in old computers and some of you might have seen me post on here every once in a while and where I'm going to get training they recycle old computers from the local businesses and we sell the ones that are still usable for the average consumer on ebay and other online stores. that means I have the ability to buy the stuff thats not really going to sell in there eyes to the average Joe so I got a a few items some time ago that I have some questions about I have the following

dfi ca64-ec
Pentium iii 1ghz
Voodoo 3 3000 pci
Voodoo 3 3000 agp
2x sound blaster live
3x 3com ethernet pci adapters
Tb Aureal vortex 2

And some other bits and pieces

I built a system with some of the parts and I was wondering if anyone had the cd that came with that dfi motherboard and also if this board can support a 1.4ghz tualatin cpu I'm going to buy that cpu if the board supports it just need to wait until i run into some extra money

Sorry for my rambling I just thought I would introduce my self since I never did (at least I dont think I did) 😊

Reply 1 of 3, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Demonslayer2103 wrote:

I have a disability and I have a real interest in old computer parts since I was a kid I first built a computer when I was in 5th grade in 2010 and I have been hooked ever since I graduated high school in 2018 and struggled to find a job I got into a program to direct me to a training center for IC3 training that works with my disabilitys

I need help I have a huge interest in old computers and some of you might have seen me post on here every once in a while and where I'm going to get training they recycle old computers from the local businesses and we sell the ones that are still usable for the average consumer on ebay and other online stores. that means I have the ability to buy the stuff thats not really going to sell in there eyes to the average Joe so I got a a few items some time ago that I have some questions about I have the following

Sounds like you hit the jackpot there with your work 😀

dfi ca64-ec Pentium iii 1ghz Voodoo 3 3000 pci Voodoo 3 3000 agp 2x sound blaster live 3x 3com ethernet pci adapters Tb Aureal […]
Show full quote

dfi ca64-ec
Pentium iii 1ghz
Voodoo 3 3000 pci
Voodoo 3 3000 agp
2x sound blaster live
Tb Aureal vortex 2

I built a system with some of the parts and I was wondering if anyone had the cd that came with that dfi motherboard and also if this board can support a 1.4ghz tualatin cpu I'm going to buy that cpu if the board supports it just need to wait until i run into some extra money

Nope, that board has a Via ApolloPro133A (694X) chipset. Tualatin support requires the ApolloPro133T (694T) chipset. P3-1000EB is the fastest CPU it supports (P3-1100E isn't any faster due to the slower bus/higher multiplier and the P3-1133EB was famously unstable and thus pulled from sale).

Sorry for my rambling I just thought I would introduce my self since I never did (at least I dont think I did) 😊

Well, welcome then 😀

Not sure what your questions are about the rest of that stuff, but you have the makings of an excellent mid-period Windows 98SE system there, with P3-1000, Voodoo3-3000AGP, TB Aureal Vortex2 *and* SBLive, and a nice 3Com NIC to top it off. A system like that could also run DOS, although it would be too fast for a lot of the titles and you'd be better off with an ISA sound card than either of these two, although they can do DOS stuff if needed.

Reply 2 of 3, by Demonslayer2103

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
dionb wrote:
Sounds like you hit the jackpot there with your work :) […]
Show full quote
Demonslayer2103 wrote:

Sounds like you hit the jackpot there with your work 😀

dfi ca64-ec Pentium iii 1ghz Voodoo 3 3000 pci Voodoo 3 3000 agp 2x sound blaster live 3x 3com ethernet pci adapters Tb Aureal […]
Show full quote

dfi ca64-ec
Pentium iii 1ghz
Voodoo 3 3000 pci
Voodoo 3 3000 agp
2x sound blaster live
Tb Aureal vortex 2

Nope, that board has a Via ApolloPro133A (694X) chipset. Tualatin support requires the ApolloPro133T (694T) chipset. P3-1000EB is the fastest CPU it supports (P3-1100E isn't any faster due to the slower bus/higher multiplier and the P3-1133EB was famously unstable and thus pulled from sale).

Well, welcome then 😀

Not sure what your questions are about the rest of that stuff, but you have the makings of an excellent mid-period Windows 98SE system there, with P3-1000, Voodoo3-3000AGP, TB Aureal Vortex2 *and* SBLive, and a nice 3Com NIC to top it off. A system like that could also run DOS, although it would be too fast for a lot of the titles and you'd be better off with an ISA sound card than either of these two, although they can do DOS stuff if needed.

I have a sound blaster 16 pnp that I got from ebay that i tried to get dos working on the system but I'm not sure the best way of doing it yet I'm really looking for a Pentium mmx computer and a voodoo 1 but I have never seen stuff that old come in at my work oldest I have seen is slot one Pentium iii computers and all the older stuff smells like they have been smoked around and are yellowed I have a aopen board a ax6pc haven't tested it yet but I really want a dos PC I have a ton of old dos games I got from goodwill and haven't played yet

Reply 3 of 3, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Demonslayer2103 wrote:

[...]

I have a sound blaster 16 pnp that I got from ebay that i tried to get dos working on the system but I'm not sure the best way of doing it yet I'm really looking for a Pentium mmx computer and a voodoo 1 but I have never seen stuff that old come in at my work oldest I have seen is slot one Pentium iii computers and all the older stuff smells like they have been smoked around and are yellowed I have a aopen board a ax6pc haven't tested it yet but I really want a dos PC I have a ton of old dos games I got from goodwill and haven't played yet

That SB16 PnP would work well in a Pentium (or 2/3) class computer. You need the CTCU/CTCM utilities to initialize it, and they don't play nice with DOS 7.x, but with DOS 6.2 it will work fine.

The AX6BC is a classic late P2/early P3 board and probably better for DOS than what you already have - but look out for bad caps.

As for smoke, ozone is the official way to solve that, but you can get a lot out by putting plastic case components into the dishwasher (you can try with metal too, but sometimes that doesn't turn out too well).