VOGONS

First post, by jheronimus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi, all.

Recently I've found an LPX Socket 3 machine. The motherboard is FIC 486-JAL. Here are its jumper settings on stason.org and here is the manual.

Problem is, the system doesn't detect any L2 cache — at least, none of it shows up in POST screen.

The L2 cache is divided into two banks. There are no jumpers to set the cache configuration (unless I'm missing something).

Bank 0 is socketed (and was empty when I got the board), Bank 1 is soldered on. So when I looked on Stason, I've noticed that all the cache configurations need Bank 0 to be filled. So my current configuration is the following:

Bank 0: 4 DIP-20 chips. Each chip has the following markings: HY534256S-70 9205A
Bank 1: 4 DIP-20 chips. Each chip has the following markings: HY534256AS-70 9416A

It seems like I've even got nearly matching chips. Yet the system still doesn't detect any cache.

Otherwise the configuration is the following:

Intel Overdrive DX4-100
32MB FPM RAM
Cirrus Logic CL-GD5428
Onboard Promise IDE controller
3COM 3C515 NIC
Sound Blaster Pro 2 CT1600

What am I missing?

MR BIOS catalog
Unicore catalog

Reply 1 of 2, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The chips you mentioned are DRAM and are video memory upgarde it looks like, this board doesn't seem to support cache.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 2 of 2, by jheronimus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tiido wrote:

The chips you mentioned are DRAM and are video memory upgarde it looks like, this board doesn't seem to support cache.

Damn, you are right. Even though the sockets are called CACHE on stason and the board is listed as having cache, I've just tried removing 4 chips. Video memory went down from 1024KB to 512KB.

MR BIOS catalog
Unicore catalog