User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello all

I am currently trying to get a multiboot working with the following systems:

- NT4
- 98SE
- ME

My hardware is a 2200gig AMD with 1gig of RAM and a Asrock K7VT2 and 1 320gig HDD. My current partitions:

- 50MB (EMBR) - BootIt bare metal boot selector
- 2GB (FAT16) - 6.22 (and 3.11 on top of that)
- 32GB (FAT32) - 95
- 70GB (NTFS) - NT4.0
- 70GB (FAT32) - 98SE
- 70GB (NTFS) - 2000
- 70GB (FAT32) - ME

Currently I got the Boot partition and bootit installed and created the FAT16 and installed Dos 6.22 and Win 3.11, this all worked perfect, everything runs fine. Win 3.11 detected my Logitech USB mouse and it worked immediately. As I am pretty sure USB did not exist back then, and 6.22 is installed on a clean partition, how does it have driver support? That really amazed me...

Question:
How big should I set the virtual memory in Win3.11? It suggested 200 mb which I accepted, no issues but maybe this is not a good value?

Question 2:
I know I should edit the system.ini in Win 95, 98se and ME to get the 1 Gig memory working correctly, should I do anything in dos/win3.11 or will it just not use more than... I believe 64mb?

Question 3:
My mother board has onboard audio.. is there any chance in hell to get this working for dos games in 6.22/3.11 or should I just find a Sound Blaster card and forget about it?

Question 4:
Bootit bare metal is easy enough to use and I like it... was easy to add a "boot from floppy drive" option to the boot menu... is it possible to somehow add a "boot from CDROM" option?

Queston 5:
Is it possible in Bootit to have a option that boots straight into win3.11 instead of the dos and then I have to type "win"? I know I could add the win command to the bat file but as far as I know (with my limited exerience) it will then always boot to win... I would like to have both the "6.22" and "3.11" option in the boot menu so I can choose..

Thanks!

Reply 1 of 2, by Cobra42898

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Great system but a few problems:

1) need ISA slots for ISA sound or dos is kind of useless.

2) win9x/3.11 will not work happily on a partition beyond the first 120gb of the hdd, maximum. some may be less.

3) "legacy USB keyboard/mouse" must be enabled in your bios for the mouse to be working.
4) if you have 2 512mb ram sticks, just remove one. in the long run it's easier.

Searching for Epson Actiontower 3000 486 PC.

Reply 2 of 2, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

1) I'd leave it. It's not like you have word, a browser, and whatever else all open at teh same time on 3.11. I doubt you'll ever dip into virtual memory anyway.

2) If its working fine leave it.

3) quick google says onboard audio is just a AC97 CODEC, Win9x is as low as you can go. as mentioned above some cards support sound in dos like the Live! but it still isn't ideal.

5) I'm not familiar with Bootit but even a pure dos machine rarely boots direct into Win3x or if it does it would be by adding win.com to the autoexec.bat
the official MS way I suppose would be to add a boot menu into your autoexec/config.sys
https://arstechnica.com/civis/viewtopic.php?t=815473