VOGONS

First post, by Sugoll

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have a Toshiba Satellite 400cdt, which is one of the best laptop computers for old DOS games (640x480 active matrix screen, real Yamaha OPL3). However, I have a question:
I bought a 'Buffalo 5 in 1 PC Card adapter MCR-5A' which takes, among others, SD-cards. Now when I stick this in my Win95 laptop, the OS installs a driver for it (apparently win95 has it on-board),
and then it works flawlessly (using a 2 GB SD card in the adapter).
However, I'm wondering if it is possibly to get this working in Win3.1, which I have installed on my 400cdt?

Reply 1 of 4, by jaZz_KCS

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You will need PCMCIA Cardsoft drivers as well as ATA mass storage drivers that are compatible with your adapter. This could indeed turn out to be quite painful to get working under DOS/W3.11, but it is possible.

Reply 2 of 4, by Bondi

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It's not too difficult to get Cardsoft working in DOS. Here is the manual just in case https://www.rtd.com/NEW_manuals/software/util … M640020003B.pdf
Not sure about W3.11 though. I use PC Card Director on my IBMs, not sure if it works on Toshibas. But there should be dedicated Toshiba drivers as well, I guess...

PCMCIA Sound Cards chart
archive.org: PCMCIA software, manuals, drivers

Reply 3 of 4, by jaZz_KCS

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Cardsoft alone is not the problem, per se. When it comes to the storage driver, there *could* be issues.

Regardless, as the Satellite Series uses the Intel 365SL PCMCIA controller, you will need to have the attached file in the CARDSOFT folder on the installation diskette, otherwise your adapter will not be detected.

(Not necessarily for the 400CDT, but I do have a Pro 470CDT, a 200CS, as well as a Libretto 50ct on the table right this moment which all 3 use this chipset, and need this file to be present in order for Cardsoft to successfully detect the adapter.)

Attachments

• Filename
    SS365SL.EXE
    File size
    6.73 KiB
    Downloads
    57 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception