VOGONS

First post, by Sugoll

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I recently acquired a Toshiba 400cdt, and it appears the '3-e-d-c' keys are not working (and thus possibly the F2 key also, though I couldn't test this).
Anyone have an idea on how to fix this? Or what the problem is?

Reply 1 of 3, by jaZz_KCS

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I would assume it to be either a physical issue with either the matrix junctions for these keys, or some other crud sitting on the PCB under those keys.
Sadly, Toshiba Satellite keyboards are not easily opened for maintenance, otherwise I would suggest taking a look at the insides of the keyboard whether you can spot the culprit.

Reply 2 of 3, by MAZter

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

in some cases, the reason may not be in the keyboard itself, but in the motherboard, in this case cleaning the keyboard or replacing it will not make sense.

I had such a case with a Compaq 5100 laptop, only the replacement of the motherboard helped.

Doom is what you want (c) MAZter

Reply 3 of 3, by jaZz_KCS

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Also check the connectors as well as the keyboard ribbons themselves. Most of these are at least a tad corroded at this point in time.
Considering it's a Satellite, how far does the battery corrosion protrude into the motherboard? All Satellites (as well as Librettos)/Dynabooks/Tecras of this generation have it, to some extent, regardless of where they were stored.