VOGONS

First post, by AlessandroB

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I want to swap the mainboard inside mi Olivetti 286 with this one.. but i need some power to play doom and similar games. I have a Pentium Overdrive and i want to know if i can mount on it...

Last edited by Stiletto on 2020-03-02, 06:33. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 2 of 10, by GigAHerZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Isn't 487 the same as 486DX? Internally definitelly they are, but i'm not exactly sure about pinout.

"640K ought to be enough for anybody." - And i intend to get every last bit out of it even after loading every damn driver!

Reply 3 of 10, by Vynix

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yes the 487SX is just a 486DX with a extra pin to disable the on-board 486SX.

Kinda a scam if you ask me, but ofc there are some 486 Overdrive chips that have that extra pin to disable the 486SX.

Proud owner of a Shuttle HOT-555A 430VX motherboard and two wonderful retro laptops, namely a Compaq Armada 1700 [nonfunctional] and a HP Omnibook XE3-GC [fully working :p]

Reply 5 of 10, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

All the extra pins on the socket2/3 just provide voltage and ground. Already a guy on VCFed has proven it's possible to get POD83 working in a 168-pin 486 socket with the extra pins just hanging over the side of the socket. Of course, since yours is a 487 socket you'd still need to hook up that extra pin to disable the onboard CPU...but getting a POD83 going in there just might be possible (although not very elegant).

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 6 of 10, by mpe

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Vynix wrote:

Yes the 487SX is just a 486DX with a extra pin to disable the on-board 486SX.

Kinda a scam if you ask me, but ofc there are some 486 Overdrive chips that have that extra pin to disable the 486SX.

I wonder why this misinformation keeps spreading again and again...

Neither the 487 nor any overdrive has any such pin to disable the 486SX.

The 169th pin of the overdrive socket has no electrical function whatsoever. It is just a mechanical lock to prevent people from installing processor in a wrong orientation. You can use a clipper and remove it and it will still work.

The UP# (upgrade present) pin is present on all 486 CPU's (perhaps with exception of very early ones). It is used by the CPU you are disabling to disconnect it from the bus.

Last edited by mpe on 2020-01-22, 13:00. Edited 2 times in total.

Blog|NexGen 586|S4

Reply 7 of 10, by AlessandroB

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

you mean that there is a row of cpu pins outside the socket? and that some of these pins have to be connected somewhere on the mainboard? It could be a challenge but you are very ugly to look at, and I would not want to solder the pins of the POD considering its extremely high cost.

Reply 8 of 10, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Anonymous Coward wrote:

All the extra pins on the socket2/3 just provide voltage and ground.

Yes, I know. I even wrote this myself a few days ago here in another thread. But a socket 2/3 is larger because of the additional row of pins and you can see on the picture that there is simply not enough clearance around to install a POD.

Also it's not that easy. The +5V lines on a socket 1 are not meant to provide the current needed by the POD chip. You risk burning the traces. The extra pins were not just added for fun.

Reply 9 of 10, by mpe

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've just tried to stick the POD in the Socket 1. Mechanically there is no problem expcept for it is tricky to remove from the LIF once you put it in. Don't have any Socket 1 mb right now. However, as derSammler mentioned, I would be concerned about power draw as whatever built with Socket 486/Socket 1 was likely created for 486DX2-66 at best have less than half of the power draw of Pentium Overdrive (1.2A vs 2.6A) and thus the extra power points. However, if you feel lucky...

Alternatively, I'd use an empty Socket 2 LIF socket and wire app power pins together and connect to 5V via molex.

However, it is probably pointless as you can just use AMD X5 133 MHz in 5V -> 3.3V interposer, get very similar or better performance than POD and save all the hassle.

Fxx9JtS.jpg

Blog|NexGen 586|S4