VOGONS

First post, by gordon-creAtive.com

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

For years I have worried about how old computers can be kept alive when the original custom ICs fail. While I like what FPGAs can do, it never felt right to replace ICs with them. However this guy proved that DIY IC production is possible - even though the applications I have in mind are still quite far away:

I present the first home(garage)made lithographically-fabricated integrated circuit – the “Z1” PMOS dual differential amplifier chip. [...] There are 66 individual fabrication steps to make this chip and it takes approximately 12 hours for a full run. The process yield can be as high as 80% for these large features, but is largely dependent on my coffee intake that day. [...] The home chip fab chemistry bench [...] basically includes everything needed to manufacture ICs except a vacuum chamber and a lithography setup.

Link to documentation of the project

Reply 1 of 8, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Most custom chips have thousands to many millions of transistors in them, and big companies with state of art equipment struggled to make them in past... I don't think the time when we start creating our own CPUs and chipsets with homemade equipment is gonna happen anytime soon...

I saw this a while ago and it is really cool but it has a very long way to go.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 2 of 8, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

FPGAs and CPLDs are still the way to go in my book... I can replicate a whole vintage system, hardware-accurate (with space to spare) in a medium-size FPGA for under $100.

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 3 of 8, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
stamasd wrote on 2019-12-27, 22:41:

FPGAs and CPLDs are still the way to go in my book... I can replicate a whole vintage system, hardware-accurate (with space to spare) in a medium-size FPGA for under $100.

Keep in mind that FPGA/CPLDs can only replicate digital chips, not mixed analog-digital chips. Some computers have ICs that are a mix of analog and digital components, like the ULA on ZX Spectrum and I guess SID on Commodore 64 (I guess most sound chips like OPL3, AY-3-8192) are mostly analog. Although a FPGA implementation is possible, that's an emulation that does not work 100% as the original thing.

OTOH, there are cheap FPGA based systems that can emulate entire systems, if you don't mind some inaccuracies (mostly related to keyboard reading and form size). I've got a ZX-Uno that is a bootable board with the size of a Raspberry Pi and can simulate most 8 bit computers/consoles... even it can store 9 cores (simulated computers) and you can choose any of them at boot time (but keep in mind that is built around a ZX Spectrum simulation, so core #1 MUST be the ZX Spectrum and that's the core that allows you to reprogram the board).

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 4 of 8, by gordon-creAtive.com

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Tiido wrote on 2019-12-27, 22:29:

Most custom chips have thousands to many millions of transistors in them, and big companies with state of art equipment struggled to make them in past.

Yeah, this homemade IC has 6 transistors, a MOS 6502 has ~3000, a Intel 8086 10 times more... a long way to go, but I think something like the 6502 is reachable in the next decade.

Reply 5 of 8, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Zup wrote on 2019-12-28, 09:05:
stamasd wrote on 2019-12-27, 22:41:

Keep in mind that FPGA/CPLDs can only replicate digital chips, not mixed analog-digital chips. Some computers have ICs that are a mix of analog and digital components, like the ULA on ZX Spectrum and I guess SID on Commodore 64 (I guess most sound chips like OPL3, AY-3-8192) are mostly analog. Although a FPGA implementation is possible, that's an emulation that does not work 100% as the original thing.

OTOH, there are cheap FPGA based systems that can emulate entire systems, if you don't mind some inaccuracies (mostly related to keyboard reading and form size). I've got a ZX-Uno that is a bootable board with the size of a Raspberry Pi and can simulate most 8 bit computers/consoles... even it can store 9 cores (simulated computers) and you can choose any of them at boot time (but keep in mind that is built around a ZX Spectrum simulation, so core #1 MUST be the ZX Spectrum and that's the core that allows you to reprogram the board).

I have the ZX-Uno too... nice system. I've also synthesized the ZX Spectrum on other FPGA boards, like the Pipistrello and the Altera DE0.
There are mixed-signal FPGAs too, which include analog blocks. Granted in most cases those are ADCs and DACs - but many if not most analog functions can be simulated with DSP slices, which most modern FPGAs have plenty of.

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 6 of 8, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

(I guess most sound chips like OPL3, AY-3-8192) are mostly analog

OPL2 and OPL3 probably not - they use external DACs.

Nie tylko, jak widzicie, w tym trudność, że nie zdołacie wejść no moja górę, lecz i w tym, ze ja do was cały zejść nie mogę, gdyż schodząc, gubię po drodze to, co miałem donieść.

Reply 7 of 8, by hyoenmadan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I think this project is more about changing people's mentality than make a complete foundry in your garage. Lately people is returning to a sort of new "middle age", strongly relying in "black boxes" and "magic" done by a few greedy companies here and there. People has to see there isn't any magic occurring anywhere, but a set of well understandable maths, physics and chemistry done in concrete steps to make the device to happen, and certainly isn't impossible to make a small scale (quantity and device complexity). I see in this project a way to encourage people to LEARN, instead to just buy stuff mindlessly, even if you never come to "make your own chip".

Louis Rossmann has an interesting talk about people's mentality in his Yt channel. I guess this project proves his point... And that's good. We need this sort of initiatives more than ever.

Reply 8 of 8, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Has anyone looked at hybrid daughter cards that incorporate digital and analog sections for this kind of job? Unit production cost would be higher than genuine chips, but low startup costs would make it viable for low rate, hobbyist projects.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder