VOGONS

Reply 20 of 29, by Mamba

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Waiting for the Tualatins I am trying to set Up the system with two P3 933Mhz and XP SP3.

The load time of the SO is fast, fester than on the P3B-F and this is good.

I have a strange situation:

the usb mouse began to stutter, big time!
The via latency patch is installed, the 4 in 1 as well (manually done for the AGP gart).
I was thinking that it was the creative audio card to mess with the USB ports, but it is not the case.

Strangely, the stuttering started heavily when I configured XP for multiprocessing (It was installed with one cpu only), from command line.

The keyboard is ps/2

Reply 21 of 29, by looking4awayout

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Use HDD Expert and check out the SMART status of your hard drive.

My Retro Daily Driver: Pentium !!!-S 1.7GHz | 3GB PC166 ECC SDRAM | Geforce 6800 Ultra 256MB | 128GB Lite-On SSD + 500GB WD Blue SSD | ESS Allegro PCI | Windows XP Professional SP3

Reply 22 of 29, by Mamba

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
looking4awayout wrote on 2020-02-03, 08:04:

Use HDD Expert and check out the SMART status of your hard drive.

The HD is perfect (wd black) and sits on a separate Promise sata controller on the third pci slot.

Everything was perfectly smooth (for mouse), with only one core enabled.

Reply 23 of 29, by Mamba

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hello,

finally after a lot of wait and troubles I was able to assemble my system and make some test.
Specs:

CUV4X-DLS
4GB ECC REG (3,5GB recognized)
2x Pentium III-s 1400@ 1470MHz (140 FSB, little oc)
Intel 320 SSD 180GB with IDE adapter
VGA (see below)
AUDIO X-FI Xtreme gamer PCI
USB 2.0 card (VIA chipset... ouch, maybe better find a NEC one?)

First, it seems that my CUV4X-DLS has some troubles to PS2 ports, in fact I cannot use both of them without issues.
Then I realized that USB from VIA 133a sucks, and sucks a lot, but in a very strange way:
Whenever I install Creative drivers (for my X-fi PCI), being the DanielK or PAx or regular ones, the USB become unstable, even the mouse starts to "stutter" a lot.
I am not able to restore the situation even when uninstalling Creative drivers / removing the card, I have to reinstall the Operative System (XP-Pro).

It is a bit milded when using a separate 2.0 USB card , but you can still feel something is not smooth even on USB 2.0 ports, this after installing Xfi drivers, not before...

Then with the AGP cards:

6800GT 128Mb (NV40) : 3dMark 2005 score: 1369
X1950 pro 512Mb: 3dMark 2005 score: 1110
7900GS 518Mb: 3dMark 2005 score: 1230
HD4650 1Gb DDR2 : 3dMar 2005 score: 4607

Don't know for you but the results are nonsense to me... Looking for your comments and suggestions.

In any case the HD4650 works like a charm, no trouble installing it (Cat 12.3).
X1950 pro was with Omega drivers.

Last edited by Mamba on 2020-06-25, 15:44. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 26 of 29, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You sure the board is maxing out the AGP bus (x4)? - I've had problems with this chipset on Gigabyte dual boards claiming to be operating at x4 when it was actually using x2 (this was with all the correct drivers / patches installed)

Reply 27 of 29, by Mamba

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
PC Hoarder Patrol wrote on 2020-06-26, 04:15:

You sure the board is maxing out the AGP bus (x4)? - I've had problems with this chipset on Gigabyte dual boards claiming to be operating at x4 when it was actually using x2 (this was with all the correct drivers / patches installed)

It is at 4x for sure, but even if it was at 1x the results are way too low.
What if I give win7 a try?
Maybe I am so adjusted to modern SO that I forgot to properly configure XP like good old days?

But I am also beginning to think that this mainboard has some sort of problems.
I don’t see defective capacitors.

In any case, should someone be interested in my CUV4X-DLS and wants to exchange with another dual (without scsi, I do not need it), please send me a message.

Reply 29 of 29, by Mamba

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
luckybob wrote on 2020-06-26, 07:05:

reading back... why are you using Reg/ecc ram? That cuts out a GOOD 10-15% memory performance,

It was the cheapest form of 4GB kit I found online.
1Gb unbuffered PC133 sticks are practically impossible to find

Even with 20% less performance, I don't see how a 7900GS 512Mbyte would do less than 2000 points at 3DMark05.
Of course something is not configured properly.

When I have time I will try to install Win7