First post, by psy_

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello , started digging my old pc's and parts trying to do some builds 😀

First build :
cpu : IBM 6x86MX PR266 and pentium 133
m/b : J-591A has AGP(x1) and pci/isa slots,
Soundcards : aztech sc400 rev2(installed right now) or a soundblaster pro CT1336
gfx cards : diamond stealth 3d 3000 2mb virge/vx pci(installed right now) and geforce 2 pro 64mb agp
hdd : 2x 4gb cf card
ram : 32mb
floppy 3.5 + 5.1/4
psu : 450w
cdrom
dos/win98se

-------------

Second build :
m/b : K7S5A
cpu : Athlon xp 2400+
ram : 512mb
sc : sblive
gfx : ati radeon 9800 pro 128mb
dvdrom
hdd : old ide but want cf cause of the noise
winxp

------------

I can keep only one computer here so i think that i'll keep the first dos/win98 build with the configuration ibm/cyrix cpu and soundcard the aztech (in win98 have not managed yet to make this card work right) or sbpro, would like to run a wide range of old dos games and win 95/98 ones that's why i installed the cyrix cpu.

Now i'm stuck a little with the gfx card, the virge/vx is ok for old games but for quake and other old 3d games on dos/windows svga/vga don't work fast , the geforce 2 is faster for dos and win but the cpu is holding the power back and univbe don't work with this card but it's very compatible from some games i run/tested, i think i would go with geforce, it's an overkill for this system?
also with win98 and geforce 2 it works alright but the psu produces some high pitch noises when reads from the hdd compact flash card, with dos it's ok but on w98 it's getting on my ears... cause does noise all the time, it's not normal. I think that i must replace the 200w psu with more watts cause the geforce 2 needs more power(?), i'll replace it and see if noises goes away(i'll put the psu from athlonxp build to dos machine- *forgot that new psu don't have power switch! so no go).

Attachments

Last edited by psy_ on 2020-08-30, 12:36. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 4, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Is the GF2 overkill for the first system? absolutely! Does it matter? Not at all!
I'd keep it. GF2 are cheap, common and extremely compatible as you have already discovered. Id keep it rather then spending money on something else for the same results.
GF2 are not that power hungry but the PSU isn't that new so may be pushing it. You can get AT to ATX adapters fairly cheap of ebay or whatever that include the power switch.

Be aware new PSU's don have -5v which some cards require although looks like your ok
ISA Cards & Devices Requiring -5V

Reply 2 of 4, by psy_

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

i'll look for adapter to just have one in case i need it and just found a component in the motherboard that gets very very hot if i have the gf2 installed 😒 with virge/vx you can touch it ok but with the geforce it burns so i'll put the virge to not damage it ( i thought geforce would be ok but it stress the m/b from what i see), thanks for suggestions going to read that 😀
Had a pentium pro 200 system for some years back in the day but i sold it later, wish i didn't now, that would be my best retro computer.

Reply 3 of 4, by psy_

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

ok i install the new psu after all , no more noises! 😀 the mb have atx connector and i used the "reset switch" connected to the "soft power on - pins" on the mb , it works alright , if you press the reset one time boots and then the press works as a reset, if you want to shutdown you press the button some seconds and it powers off.

Attachments

• psu.jpg
    Filename
    psu.jpg
    File size
    177.01 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 4 of 4, by psy_

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok, today i decided to install a usb expansion cable i bought from ebay cause the motherboard J-591A of the cyrix build has a USB header , the pinout was for newer motherboards so i rewired it based on the attached pictures i found on the net and it works! now i have a usb wireless keyboard connected on this machine 😀 , usb sticks works ok as well after install drivers for win98se.
Also got a LG Flatron L173ST monitor and is perfect for dos games! no ghosting and no other problem at all.

The final build of the computer now is :

cpu : IBM 6x86MX PR266
m/b : J-591A has AGP(x1) and pci/isa slots,
Soundcard : aztech sc400 rev2
gfx cards : diamond stealth 3d 3000 2mb virge/vx pci
hdd : 2x 4gb cf card
ram : 32mb
floppy 3.5 + 5.1/4
psu : 450w
cdrom : plextor
net card : 3Com 3C905B Fast EtherLink XL 10/100
usb connector