AT psu wires

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 21, by SirNickity

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Vic Vos wrote on 2020-01-01, 11:13:

Will it be simpler to just replace the switch entirely and put a fitting button in there?

Most latching power switches have a spring leg that follows a guide channel as the switch plunger is pressed in. It then catches behind a ridge in the plastic that provides the latching effect. If you take out that spring, the plunger operates as a momentary switch -- ala ATX. You then wire it up to a 2-pin Berg header, instead of AC mains, and voila -- an ATX power switch.

Remove your power switch from the case and see if you can find that latch spring. It's normally visible without having to dismantle the switch, but you might have to dissect it a little bit to remove it. On one of mine, I believe I had to bend two metal tabs back, which then allowed me to separate the casing and pull the spring out. Then I just bent the tabs back together and it was good as new.

Reply 21 of 21, by Vic Vos

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
SirNickity wrote on 2020-01-02, 20:08:
Vic Vos wrote on 2020-01-01, 11:13:

Will it be simpler to just replace the switch entirely and put a fitting button in there?

Most latching power switches have a spring leg that follows a guide channel as the switch plunger is pressed in. It then catches behind a ridge in the plastic that provides the latching effect. If you take out that spring, the plunger operates as a momentary switch -- ala ATX. You then wire it up to a 2-pin Berg header, instead of AC mains, and voila -- an ATX power switch.

Remove your power switch from the case and see if you can find that latch spring. It's normally visible without having to dismantle the switch, but you might have to dissect it a little bit to remove it. On one of mine, I believe I had to bend two metal tabs back, which then allowed me to separate the casing and pull the spring out. Then I just bent the tabs back together and it was good as new.

Just removed the switch before reading your post - thanks, will try looking for the spring sometime. Though, it looks like I'll definitely have to dismantle it.

In the meantime, today I bought an old 300W ATX PSU from a local guy. We tested it and it works fine, but it looks like in the future I'll either have to recap the PSU (it's littered with Jun Fu's) or get a new PSU altogether.