VOGONS

First post, by Justin1091

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi guys,

So I've always connected my Windows 98 pc's to a Synology NAS without issue. Couple of years ago I needed to ensure the 98 pc's connect to the NAS using NTLMV2, which I did like this:

Install all official 98 updates;
Install DSClient;
Add LMCompatibility (or LMCompatibilityLevel I keep forgetting) 1 DWORD to registry;
Done.

How I could check above registry key was that the NAS shouldn't ask for a $IPC password. If it did, the registry key wasn't correct or the DSClient didn't install correctly.

Now, some time later I've a different 98 PC which needs to connect to the NAS (no settings adjusted). Upon trying to open the shared folder \\servername\folder I get a "Incorrect password" error. R

Wtf? It's always worked with the DSClient and the registry entry... Only thing changed seems to be the regular security updates by Synology. Removing said registry key makes the NAS ask for a $IPC password, so that tells me the NTLMV2 works.
I'm hoping someone else here has a Synology NAS with the latest updates + Windows 98 connecting to it and having no issues, that way I can look somewhere else for this.

Can someone verify if it still works what I'm trying here? The same PC has XP dualbooted and that one works fine, it's something between 98 and the Synology, which is a DS112J by the way.

Reply 1 of 9, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Verify all machines are using NTLM. If one using lanman and the other NTLM then that would cause the issue.

Also check this article: http://jasonhu.com/2019/05/30/connecting-syno … indows-clients/

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 2 of 9, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It happened to me some months ago (Synology DS214e). It seems related to NTLM version, being NTLMv1 deprecated and NTLMv2... well, I don't really know what happened to NTLMv2 but I had to change some settings. NTLMv3 is fine.

Windows 98 can't use NTLMv3 passwords, and I'm not sure that it can do NTLMv2 at all. If you only need to upload and download files (i.e.: making backups) and don't need to run things or use it as a shared folder, I guess your best option is using FTP.

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 4 of 9, by Justin1091

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks guys, I figured it out.

Setting the registry key to 3 instead of 1 works. It can connect once again.
The key is LmCompatibility by the way, not LmCompatibilityLevel.
Thanks!

Reply 5 of 9, by Shagittarius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Justin1091 wrote on 2019-12-31, 13:15:
Thanks guys, I figured it out. […]
Show full quote

Thanks!

Can you explain the steps to do this exactly, I've had a Diskstation 214SE for several years and I've never been able to get 98SE to connect to it. I would greatly appreciate it as I've looked everywhere and can't find the info.

Reply 6 of 9, by Justin1091

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Shagittarius wrote on 2019-12-31, 17:21:
Justin1091 wrote on 2019-12-31, 13:15:
Thanks guys, I figured it out. […]
Show full quote

Thanks!

Can you explain the steps to do this exactly, I've had a Diskstation 214SE for several years and I've never been able to get 98SE to connect to it. I would greatly appreciate it as I've looked everywhere and can't find the info.

Sure thing!

First, in the DiskStation make sure minimum SMB level is at 1. It's at control panel -> File Services -> SMB -> Advanced.
Then note which account on the NAS you will use to connect to the shares. That account will need to have at least read access to the shared folders of course.

Then on the Windows 98 PC, install Dsclient. There are many different versions but I never found the newest one, nor one in my language. So I just grab an English version of dsclient. Just google it, you'll find it. Install it.

Some dsclient installers first extract it to a specified folder, you then need to go to that folder and click the setup file again. Reboot.
After rebooting go to Start -> Run -> Regedit.exe and navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa and create a new DWORD entry with the name LMCompatibility (not LmCompatibilityLevel as you often read online), put in a 3 as value.
Reboot.

After installing DSclient and the registry key, go to Control panel -> Network settings. Make sure you have Client for Microsoft Networks in the list there. Under primary Network logon, select Client for Microsoft Networks. You don't need to select that you'll be sharing files on the Windows 98 PC. You should also go the Identification tab and enter the same workgroup name the NAS is in, makes it easier to find it.

It will ask you for the Windows 98 CD, insert it. When it asks you to replace recent files on your PC click NO for each file. Clicking yes will mess things up because you will replace new files with the old cdrom versions.
Now reboot.

When logging in, Windows will ask you for a network password. Here is where you will fill in your NAS credentials exactly how they are on the NAS. You need to do this every time you log on the PC.
Click start -> Run and type \\yourNASnameorIP\folder It should NOT prompt you for a password, because you already supplied that at Windows logon. If you want you can also map the shares to drives in Explorer.

Reply 7 of 9, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
derSammler wrote on 2019-12-31, 09:37:

Not sure if there are any WebDAV clients for Win9x, but if there are, you can even create a shared folder using the FTP protocol.

Win98 supports WebDAV natively, or you can look into a client like Novell Netdrive.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 8 of 9, by Shagittarius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks for the help, this is great but I ran into an issue first attempt.

Things of note:
I used the Win9x DSclient from Win2k SP4 CD, which seemed to install fine.
I do not have an HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa key. I added this key myself and the DWORD you specified, then I set my machine to use the MS Windows Networks login as primary. When I rebooted the sound/video drivers gave me all kinds of error messages, not sure what caused this really. I also couldn't set the video to the correct bit depth / resolution anymore.

I'm going to try to do some of these things independently and see if I can figure out what caused the issue, then I'll try again.

Thanks for laying this out for me though!

EDIT: IT seems to be simply changing the primary windows logon that's causing this, let me work on fixing that first. This must be something with being unable to find files once the primary login has been switched I'm guessing.

Reply 9 of 9, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I've attached the DSclient I use for 9x and NT4. I've tested on Windows 95 as well and it works fine.

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\control\LSA]
"LMCompatibility"=dword:00000003

Attachments

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline