VOGONS

First post, by DCG Retrowave

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

My Gateway Solo PRO 9300 running Windows Me seems to run much hotter than any other laptop I've ever owned. Even when idle, the bottom feels unusually hot and when gaming it feels too hot to even touch. The hot area is where the CPU is, so I'm begging to think it might need new thermal paste. Is the extreme heat normal for a Pentium III or should I be very concerned and get some new thermal paste? The Pentium III is clocked at 600 MHz and I'm assuming it's a Coppermine PIII since my laptop is from mid-2000.

DCG Retrowave
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4xHzJ94Fji7psz45rF_Bhw

Reply 1 of 3, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

New thermal paste as well as clean out the dust and make sure the fan is working.

If it uses a heatpipe cooling system, it is possible the heatpipe has leaked and is no longer working.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 2 of 3, by computerguy08

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If it feels hot to the touch it doesn't really mean that it needs new thermal paste, the fan could be at fault (old grease that dried up over time or accumulation of dust). I have a Fujitsu Siemens with a Pentium M which gets stupidly hot underneath and a Acer with another Pentium M which is cool to the touch, both under load, working fans and fresh thermal goo. I also had a Latitude C600 with a Mobile Pentium III, which ran pretty hot as well.

Reply 3 of 3, by jaZz_KCS

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I would check the CPU. It might have made due up till now with a thermal pad sitting between the CPU and the metal chassis or some other form of passive heatsink, and this connection might be loosened due to the thermal pad disintegrating. The Coppermine should ramp up its temp when under constant load, albeit should sit quite cool at idle under Windows.