VOGONS

First post, by FrankDM

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I got this system today but I am unsure what it is exactly. The company name was "Graduate" which is a bad word for doing research on... I included two pictures. Everything seems to be in order on the inside, I can't boot the system as it requires a 9pin monitor which I don't have (anymore after the one I did have for my Amiga decided to stop working)...

Attachments

Reply 2 of 8, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Can you take a picture looking straight down on the motherboard ?
It appears to be an XT computer with a Memory card, SCSI card and drive or ESDI card and drive, floppy card and drive plus CGA or EGA vid card but really hard to tell w/o a better picture.

added: Nice !

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 3 of 8, by FrankDM

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Horun wrote on 2020-01-08, 00:05:

Can you take a picture looking straight down on the motherboard ?
It appears to be an XT computer with a Memory card, SCSI card and drive or ESDI card and drive, floppy card and drive plus CGA or EGA vid card but really hard to tell w/o a better picture.

added: Nice !

Not sure if this is what you want but here are some more shots, sorry for the quality, made with my phone.

Attachments

Reply 4 of 8, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That's an XT clone all right 😀

What I can tell about the cards:
- the first card (closest to the drives) is an I/O + floppy controller.
- second card has a "104866" part number. That implies a Xebec 1210C MFM HDD controller.
- third card is a memory card. Can't make out chips on it or on motherboard, I'd guess 512kB on the one and 128kB on the other, but could be wrong there.
- fourth is the display card. Can't make out what it is, as it's not a 1:1 clone of one of the original IBM (or Hercules) cards, but the lack of large chips means it's almost certainly not EGA and probably not Hercules either. That leaves either CGA or MDA, and given it was used in a business setting, I'd guess it's MDA.

By the way, you can boot the system, just not get display output. If you hear it beep and count down RAM, it's probable (almost) 100%, and worth looking for a TTL monitor or (better) an MCE2VGA adapter. If some tantalum caps blow up in your face, it's not quite 100%, but you know where to start 😉

Reply 5 of 8, by FrankDM

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
dionb wrote on 2020-01-08, 16:43:
That's an XT clone all right :) […]
Show full quote

That's an XT clone all right 😀

What I can tell about the cards:
- the first card (closest to the drives) is an I/O + floppy controller.
- second card has a "104866" part number. That implies a Xebec 1210C MFM HDD controller.
- third card is a memory card. Can't make out chips on it or on motherboard, I'd guess 512kB on the one and 128kB on the other, but could be wrong there.
- fourth is the display card. Can't make out what it is, as it's not a 1:1 clone of one of the original IBM (or Hercules) cards, but the lack of large chips means it's almost certainly not EGA and probably not Hercules either. That leaves either CGA or MDA, and given it was used in a business setting, I'd guess it's MDA.

By the way, you can boot the system, just not get display output. If you hear it beep and count down RAM, it's probable (almost) 100%, and worth looking for a TTL monitor or (better) an MCE2VGA adapter. If some tantalum caps blow up in your face, it's not quite 100%, but you know where to start 😉

Thanks for the information. I was looking at TTL monitors and those are pretty expensive... the MCE2VGA is cheaper. Am I getting this right that a regular 9pin RGB monitor (like a commodore monitor) would not work on this machine?

Reply 6 of 8, by jheronimus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You'll also need an XT keyboard. I myself have a bunch of XT hardware (none as beautiful as this system, admitedly), and the prices for XT keyboards is what stops me from messing with these parts. Most of XT keyboards are mechanical, which really drives the prices up considerably.

MR BIOS catalog
Unicore catalog

Reply 7 of 8, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I always check every AT keyboard at thrift stores and garage sales, some are XT compatible thru a switch on the back. A few weeks ago picked this one up for $10 and it works in XT and AT modes. Over the last 5 years have found 4 AT kb's that are also XT compatible plus a great shape Leading Edge DC-2014 xt KB for $5 at thrift stores. The online (ebay and such) sources are WAY to expensive.

Attachments

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun