VOGONS

First post, by BlackLinus24

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,
I'm looking for a BIOS file for any 386 motherboard with a Texas Instruments TACT83000 chipset. I have looked everywhere but can't find a list of motherboards that have that particular chipset.
If you know of any motherboard that has this chipset please let me know. I have come across a collection of Mr-BIOS files but as I'm oblivious as to which manufacturer had 386 motherboards with the TI chipset it's like looking for a needle in a haystack.

Thanks!

Gilles

Reply 1 of 80, by quicknick

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Here's the BIOS from my only TACT8300 board. A text string inside reads:

Quadtel TACT83000/A38202/P29 386 BIOS Version 3.05.05
Copyright 1987-1990 Quadtel Corp. All Rights Reserved.

Attachments

• 3862.jpg
    Filename
    3862.jpg
    File size
    129 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • Filename
    Unknown 386DX (tact8300, austek).rar
    File size
    37.14 KiB
    Downloads
    50 downloads
    File license

Reply 2 of 80, by BlackLinus24

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thank you so much, QuickNick, for your prompt response. That's amazing! You cannot imagine how long I have search online for anything.

Looking forward to trying out this BIOS file on the SBC (photo attached). When researching online I was surprised how little information there is about 386 motherboards with that particular chipset, let alone this particular SBC. It should be the centre piece of my 386 build but got stuck as the BIOS that was on running on the board always gave be an error message (that there was an invalid Backplane ID) when booting into DOS.

So, thanks again. Hope this brings me forward. Will let you know how it worked out.

Attachments

• iCL 386DX SBC.JPG
    Filename
    iCL 386DX SBC.JPG
    File size
    1.63 MiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 4 of 80, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That 386 SBC has a really nice way of attaching the CMOS battery. Lugs to hold it in... so much better than soldering it in.

I've got a couple 386 SBCs myself but I think both have the battery soldered in and the one I am going to do a build with needs the battery replaced. But at least those Organic Lithium barrel batteries do not leak.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 5 of 80, by BlackLinus24

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'll make a better quality photo of the SBC (in the meantime I have added the co-processor) and put photo and BIOS file on the other thread.

I have tried the BIOS file that QuickNick sent me but it wouldn't post at all. Nothing.
Putting the original BIOS file back on I managed - as last time - to install DOS 5.0. But then, restarting the machine it simply doesn't boot into DOS but keeps on giving an error message (14) about an invalid backplane ID (FF). So strange, no settings in BIOS relating to Backplane identification.

I can't read/decipher these BIOS files but if anyone of you can and you find something that might be the cause for this error message, please let me know.

Attachments

• Filename
    ICL - BIOS - SBC.zip
    File size
    37.58 KiB
    Downloads
    48 downloads
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 6 of 80, by BlackLinus24

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Also, something more a less unrelated. I don't get the market for these SBCs. Prices on Ebay for some of these 386 SBC are crazy. I'm not getting it. Why? Across the board they are going for USD 150 - 300. Are they still sought after by the industry?

Reply 7 of 80, by Predator99

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

So is this error message coming from DOS or from the BIOS?

If its from BIOS, why doesnt it appear when you install DOS for the 1st time? Or does it appear only when booting from hard disk and not from floppy?

I can take a look at the BIOS. Can you post a Screenshot of the error message?

Very helpful is also the POST-code that is displayed when the message appears and the ones before that. Hope you have a POST-card?
Otherwise its unnecessary hard work to find the position in the BIOS-code that needs to be patched.

Reply 8 of 80, by BlackLinus24

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

In my opinion it's coming from the BIOS. I did get the same error message before the system booted from the first DOS 5.0 installation disk. I can actually boot from any bootable floppy disk (with the error message still showing up before and then booting from the floppy disk).
I'll send you the screen shots as soon as possible.
The exact error message reads: BIOS(14): Backplane ID incorrect.

Reply 10 of 80, by Predator99

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yes I see, its here

? ROM BIOS #18 Version 2.15
(c) Copyright International Computers Limited 1992

*** FOR TEST ONLY *** (920210)
%aMemory address error at %X0H
%aMemory address error at %x0000H

%d kB Base memory
%d kB Extended memory
%aMemory data error %XH

%aMemory parity error
%aBase memory size not correct %aExtended memory size not correct , updated
Keyboard locked, unlock and %aBIOS(15): Memory cache failure
%aBIOS(14): Backplane ID incorrect (%x)
%aBIOS(17): Serial port 1 failed
%aBIOS(18): Serial port 2 failed
%aBIOS(19): Parallel port failed

Press <F1> to continue or <Ins> for setup mode ?

Do you have a POST-card?

Reply 11 of 80, by BlackLinus24

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

ehm...what is a POST-card?

.. No, I don't.

I checked on Ebay. They're not so expensive. So if I get one of these ISA/PCI combo POST-cards what shall I do with it? How does it work?

Last edited by Stiletto on 2020-01-11, 01:05. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 12 of 80, by Predator99

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

OK, execution of your BIOS starts at E05B

Offset of this error message is
0776: Backplane error

This value (and all other error strings) are used like...
mov ax, adress of message
call EAE9 (output message)

So the backplane error is displayed at cs:1741

The check is done at cs:1733 and cs:1737. If backplane is OK, execution jumps to cs:1747.

For fixing you need to replace every byte from cs:1733 to cs:1746 with "90". Thats a NOP, do nothing.

So search in your ROM for
74123cfd.....83c404
and replace with

But before you do that: Change one single byte in your ROM to see what happens. I assume a checksum error is displayed but I dont see the corresponding message. So at the beginning of the ROM exchange "Copyright" with "Cxpyright", write back and tell me what happens. That checksum check needs to be pacthed out, too.

For that you dont need a POST-card, thsi BIOS does not seem to output anything. But order it anyway, it important to have one 😉

Attachments

Reply 13 of 80, by Predator99

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Same check is done at CS:26D6 (without error message), so we need to pacth this as well.
But first we need to care about the ROM-checksum.

Attachments

Reply 14 of 80, by quicknick

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
BlackLinus24 wrote on 2020-01-10, 19:48:

I have tried the BIOS file that QuickNick sent me but it wouldn't post at all. Nothing.

Bummer. That's unexpected. I've just checked my board moments ago, it's the same main chip as on yours, what differs is the cache controller. Austek on mine, i385 (I think) on yours.

Predator99 wrote:

Nice boards...can you please post both BIOS also here?

I will. This year, hopefully 😀
Got quite a few boards, I've dumped the BIOS from most of them, what I'm missing are good pictures of them.

Reply 16 of 80, by BlackLinus24

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Wow...thanks!!!! I'm speechless. Thank you so much. I'll try it this weekend.
What about the Checksum. I haven't come around doing what you recommended. I was wondering if this can be done in Notepad as well or do I need to use a HEX editor?

I'm very excited in trying out the patched BIOS file. THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!

Reply 17 of 80, by Predator99

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

No all done. You need a Hex-Editor, Notepad will not work. I didnt find the Code that checks the checksum so I changed another byte to make it match again.

Not sure if it works as I dont a have the board to test...if it does not I will try again. Tell me what happens and make some screenshots.

Thats fun and I am also learning while doing this 😉

Reply 18 of 80, by BlackLinus24

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

OK. Got a time slot that allowed me to flash the patched BIOS and try it out. The error message does not appear anymore. However, it still doesn't boot into DOS and the blank screen with the letter j on the top left corner appears just as with the original BIOS. The error message about the Backplane would disappear leaving just a blank screen with the letter J. Also, the PC speaker beeped once.

Attachments

• IMG_20200111_120605.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_20200111_120605.jpg
    File size
    452.29 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • IMG_20200111_120615.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_20200111_120615.jpg
    File size
    316.23 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • IMG_20200111_120625.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_20200111_120625.jpg
    File size
    271.82 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 19 of 80, by Predator99

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ok when looking at your Setup I dont think your Boot problem is related to this error message......

I also observed on my 286 with a 256MB CF-card that I was able to install DOS on it - but was not able to boot from it later. Also, most of the files on the CF were corrupted. You can verify this by booting from floppy and compare the files on HD and FD.

Solution: Install a network card with XT-IDE...this is also a work-around if the problem is really BIOS-related. The XT-IDE will be inititalized before the BIOS boots from HD...