VOGONS

First post, by Bellator

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

My EXP8449's battery has just died. It's a 1/2AA Tadiran TL-5151 non-rechargeable lithium battery. I think that the direct replacements are Tadiran TL-4902 or SL-850. It has lasted 200,000 hours, I don't complain, but there's maybe something strange here. I have been watching the voltage of the battery since the moment the BIOS configuration was failed to be retained, and it has dropped rapidly to 0.6V in just one day (and continues decreasing) as if it were shorted, not worn. When the computer is on, the voltage is 3.55V. Is it normal to apply a voltage from an external power supply to a non-rechargeable battery?
It has coincided with another problem that has happened and I am suspicious of something worse than a worn out battery.

Reply 1 of 1, by Bellator

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I already found it. The voltage of the battery was so low because it was feeding the entire motherboard when the computer was off. The D1 diode died shorted. When the computer is on, D3 diode is open and the 3,55 volts that I was measuring is the normal voltage of the battery.

J1 connector:

1-2 Clear CMOS
2-3 Normal operation
1-4 External battery connecction (1 ground, 4 V+)

file.php?id=74229

Attachments

• Filename
    schematic.png
    File size
    11.34 KiB
    Downloads
    No downloads
    File license
    Public domain