VOGONS

First post, by MMaximus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I bought a NOS Adaptec 29160 recently. It came with bios version 2.57, and while attempting to flash it to v. 3.10, I got an error message (08). I used the same floppy disk that I used to successfully flash another 29160, but I deleted BACKUP.BIN on it otherwise the procedure wouldn't complete. Anyway I didn't really think it was a big deal and thought I could simply turn off the PC and attempt the update again with a new floppy disk.

Unfortunately now the system won't start when the card is present: there is a flashing cursor after post (when the Adaptec "Press Ctrl+A" message used to appear) and the system hangs. With hindsight I should have quickly restored the BIOS without turning off the computer, but now it's too late for that.

Any of you know a workaround to resuscitate the card? The BIOS chip appears to be on a PLCC32 package but SMD soldered. So I guess it's not possible to extract it and flash it with an EEPROM programmer. I know these cards are cheap but I feel it would still be a waste to trash it if there's any way to save it...

yHMzEYkl.jpg?1

Hard Disk Sounds

Reply 1 of 33, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

So as error message (08) is "Verification failed. Unable to verify the expansion ROM image. " I'd guess either a bad flash process or a faulty chip.

How often did you run the update process?...

...once with the original disk which failed because BACKUP.BIN already existed
...once with the original disk, minus BACKUP.BIN (did you try to undekete the BIN file)
...once with a new disk

However often, did the flash program always exit cleanly or did you just turn the PC off?

The recommended method is running restore.bat against BACKUP.BIN on the floppy so you may be out of luck, though as the card is bricked you could try downloading v2.57.2 and rename the ROM image to BACKUP.BIN (no idea if that would even work)

Reply 3 of 33, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
PC Hoarder Patrol wrote on 2020-01-11, 08:02:
So as error message (08) is "Verification failed. Unable to verify the expansion ROM image. " I'd guess either a bad flash proce […]
Show full quote

So as error message (08) is "Verification failed. Unable to verify the expansion ROM image. " I'd guess either a bad flash process or a faulty chip.

How often did you run the update process?...

...once with the original disk which failed because BACKUP.BIN already existed
...once with the original disk, minus BACKUP.BIN (did you try to undekete the BIN file)
...once with a new disk

However often, did the flash program always exit cleanly or did you just turn the PC off?

The recommended method is running restore.bat against BACKUP.BIN on the floppy so you may be out of luck, though as the card is bricked you could try downloading v2.57.2 and rename the ROM image to BACKUP.BIN (no idea if that would even work)

Exactly ! I must also add that deleting the backup.bin does not remove it from the floppy, just deletes the directory name. Adaptec recommends using a new formatted floppy for EACH adapter you are going to flash and not to use the same floppy for multiple adapters. I almost bricked a 2940uw using same floppy on multi adpaters but got lucky and the restore did work to put back the older bios.

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 4 of 33, by MMaximus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks for the helpful suggestions. I remember reading a while ago you shouldn't use the same floppy twice, but then I got cocky and I didn't think anything major could happen. 😒

The problem is that regardless which system I put the 29160 in, said system now won't start because it will get stuck during the 29160 BIOS routine. So finding a motherboard that allows to bypass the SCSI BIOS might be the ticket, but I'm not sure if I have a Mobo that has this option.

Hard Disk Sounds

Reply 5 of 33, by Predator99

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If your Mainboard BIOS is not compressed it should be an easy modification. Search for 55 AA in it and change to AA 55 (or reverse?) After that the option ROM of the SCSI Adapter should not be detected anymore?

Reply 6 of 33, by mpe

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I wonder if you could find a datasheet of the (or a similar) flash chip, find "CHIP ENABLE􏰊 CE􏰄#" or a similar pin and temporarily set it to high/low as needed to disable the ROM chip during boot. Once booted, remove the bypass and try to flash it?

Not sure if it can work in this context but I once unbricked a router with invalid ROM (but good loader) in a similar way.

Blog|NexGen 586|S4

Reply 7 of 33, by Plasma

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Predator99 wrote on 2020-01-13, 10:27:

If your Mainboard BIOS is not compressed it should be an easy modification. Search for 55 AA in it and change to AA 55 (or reverse?) After that the option ROM of the SCSI Adapter should not be detected anymore?

You'll need a mono or CGA card if you do that because the video BIOS won't init.

Reply 9 of 33, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Another option (slightly more risky) might be to 'hot plug' the card in a test system once the OS has loaded and try to flash it from there - did this on a bricked Silicon Image SATA RAID PCI-X controller after a bad flash and it worked OK (same issue as you with hanging at POST)

Reply 10 of 33, by SirNickity

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Plasma wrote on 2020-01-13, 10:31:
Predator99 wrote on 2020-01-13, 10:27:

You'll need a mono or CGA card if you do that because the video BIOS won't init.

Wouldn't it fail to boot anything at all then? The FDD/HDD uses that signature to indicate bootable code in the MBR...

Reply 12 of 33, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

one of my favorite cards there, I luff them. It is the perfect scsi card for just a normal pci slot. An idea might be, a bios can only have enough memory for so many option roms. So you might try to slot a bunch of cards that have option roms, until the memory is too full to have anymore. So like you can slot 3-4 scsi cards, or add so lan cards that have pxe, sata cards that have option roms. At some point you will have too many option roms. Then you put your 29160 in there and the bios will not try to option rom it because its full.

Sounds retarded I know but it might work.

Reply 14 of 33, by Plasma

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Many BIOSes don't check for a signature in the floppy boot sector. Which is why every PC-formatted floppy contains an executable boot sector prompting you to insert another disk when the floppy is not "bootable."

Even if this check exists it's not going to be in the option ROM code.

Reply 15 of 33, by Predator99

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yes, the 55AA also identifies an option ROM
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Option_ROM
"The first two bytes of the ROM must be 55 AA".

As far as I remember it also checks the checksum, therefore a corrupted option ROM should not be executed anyway.

But you can find the 55AA in the code of the main BIOS and by modifying it you can prevent initialization. Thats the theory...

Reply 17 of 33, by SirNickity

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Plasma wrote on 2020-01-14, 20:44:

Many BIOSes don't check for a signature in the floppy boot sector. Which is why every PC-formatted floppy contains an executable boot sector prompting you to insert another disk when the floppy is not "bootable."

Hm. That ... I did not realize. I guess that does explain why seemingly every formatted disk has boot code. I thought it was just a weird quirk of the DOS format tool. Is that (no signature check) common for booting to HDD too? Not sure I've ever had a disk with a valid bootable partition but no code in the boot sector. (Now, corrupted or otherwise occupied boot sector, sure...) Might have to tinker with this and see what happens.

Reply 18 of 33, by Plasma

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I think most BIOSes check the MBR. I believe the behavior stems from the IBM 5150/5160/5170 and trying to maintain compatibility. The 5150/5160 always load and execute the floppy boot sector if there is a disk in the drive. The 5170 checks that the first 16 bytes of the floppy boot sector aren't equal before executing. But not the signature. However it does check the MBR signature if booting from a hard drive.

Reply 19 of 33, by wirerogue

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

in my server i have 2 different sas cards. when booting, it only loads the rom from 1 of the cards.
you could just try loading both cards in your system. it should only load 1 of the roms.
you might have switch them around to get the good rom to load.