VOGONS

First post, by trowa

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi everyone, I've got a 486 system that works fine with it's original 66mhz cpu and has jumpers on the board to suggest it can do higher ones (jumpers have labels for "P24C") I haven't found a way to get ~3.45V to the CPU socket for the AMD-X5-133ADZ I'm trying to put into it. I've been following directions from http://web.inter.nl.net/hcc/J.Steunebrink/amd5x86.htm and when I measure the voltage on R-10 (according to their numbering scheme) I can get either 5V or 0V depending on how I manipulate the jumpers.

If I search for the BIOS string of 40-E8FI-001247-00101111-121593-SIS471-F the closest thing I can find is 40-E8FI-001247-00101111-121593-SIS471-L which claims to be an Abit V4S471P3 but I can't find anything about that either.

Here is a gallery of pictures I've taken
https://imgur.com/a/tZyAYPP
it's about all there is to identify the board, and it shows the jumpers with silkscreening.

Reply 1 of 9, by quicknick

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hope I'm not mistaken, but after a very quick search your board seems to be an Abit AH4T, for which the manual and settings are available (here).
Your board lacks the VRM (empty spot for a 3-pin device under the CPU socket), so now it can accept 5V CPUs only.

Reply 2 of 9, by trowa

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Wow that certainly looks like the board, and the manual would suggest it may be the AH4 which is supposedly the same thing but with the DX4 3.3V removed. I had seen the AH4 diagrams elsewhere but their jumper settings weren't an exact match.

This machine *can* POST with the AMD 133 installed, but it doesn't get very far and I've done it very briefly as I knew I was sending 5V to the CPU. I suppose if it's just missing a voltage regulator I could try to find something to add to the board, pending all the traces are there still.

What also confuses me is this manual and other documentation online do say this has an Award bios, but mine has an AMI bios, so someone must have changed it at some point in life.... odd.

Thanks for finding that manual, I'll be seeing what I can convince this board to do now!

Reply 3 of 9, by quicknick

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Award BIOS for this board can be found here.

LT1085 is frequently used as a VRM on Socket 3 boards, but you'll have to study the board and see if it matches. A safer bet would be to search the net for a picture of the same board with the VRM fitted and try to read out the part number.

Reply 4 of 9, by trowa

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I was studying the LT1086 datasheet already, so glad to know I was looking in the right direction. If http://www.pchardwarelinks.com/elec_pentium.htm is to be believed 1.5A should be plenty of power output.
There are also places for tantalum capacitors clearly marked out on the board next to the VRM location and these sheets do mention needing them, so it looks like I could conceivably convert this board.

So I'm still a bit confused about the American Megatrends bios that I have, will an Award flasher be able to overwrite that? Should I even bother if the current bios is functioning seemingly fine?

Reply 5 of 9, by quicknick

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

LM350 and LM338 were suggested on this forum as cheaper alternatives to the LT1085. They are drop-in replacements. For any of these, just check out if the board is wired to accept them (the Adj pin should connect to a resistive divider between Out and GND). The cap on the output is mandatory, but most of my VRM-equipped 486 boards use plain electrolytics. I'd use a solid polymer cap.

Your BIOS chip seems to be of the UV-erasable type, and afaik few (if any) 486 boards support onboard flashing. I think you would need an empty 512kbit EPROM (or Flash/EEPROM) and an external programmer such as TL866 to try out the other BIOS and find out what it has to offer.

Reply 6 of 9, by trowa

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I finally got the parts in and soldered a 10uF cap, a 460uF cap, and an LT1085 with heatsink yesterday and the machine is running the CPU nice and stably now! My ISA I/O card was trolling me for a while but then I discovered it needs to slant a certain way before the floppy controller portion of it behaves.... Didn't matter which slot I put it in, contacts didn't look dirty at all but I'll scrub em and buy some DeoxIT. I should replace it and my video card with VLB cards to really let the CPU shine but haven't read too deeply on which ones are worth hunting.

Thanks for the tips and certainly the manual, things finally made significantly more sense with that, like the replacement CMOS battery is supposed to be 6V... now I know why my CR2032s kept dying so quickly.... ha.... (I bought a double CR2032 holder to get the 6V wanted now)

Reply 8 of 9, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
quicknick wrote on 2020-01-11, 20:36:

Hope I'm not mistaken, but after a very quick search your board seems to be an Abit AH4T, for which the manual and settings are available (here).
Your board lacks the VRM (empty spot for a 3-pin device under the CPU socket), so now it can accept 5V CPUs only.

Its an Abit AH4 without the T. The T version has a VRM onboard. Which this one has not.

trowa wrote on 2020-01-11, 22:18:

This machine *can* POST with the AMD 133 installed, but it doesn't get very far and I've done it very briefly as I knew I was sending 5V to the CPU. I suppose if it's just missing a voltage regulator I could try to find something to add to the board, pending all the traces are there still.

Thats normal, because both Abit AH-4 and AH4T uses the same bios rom. Which included the later processors as well.. Only to operate with a later processor, an interposer board with VRM is needed to use a DX4 processor or later.

~ At least it can do black and white~

Reply 9 of 9, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
quicknick wrote on 2020-01-11, 23:13:

Award BIOS for this board can be found here.

LT1085 is frequently used as a VRM on Socket 3 boards, but you'll have to study the board and see if it matches. A safer bet would be to search the net for a picture of the same board with the VRM fitted and try to read out the part number.

LT1086 as well.

~ At least it can do black and white~