VOGONS

First post, by athlon-power

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I got another Pentium III 500MHz the other day, and it was only a matter of time until I tried to throw it in the EPoX system. It's no longer a Pentium II 400 build, so I'll likely be taking that post on System Specs down soon if this goes well.

The "issue," is that my BIOS is from 1998 and doesn't directly support Pentium III Katmai CPUs- it works with one anyways, but it lists it as a Pentium II 500MHz, which isn't exactly wrong save for the fact that this CPU has SSE and the Pentium II's don't.

My question is, will this still work fine? It's running memtest86+ right now, and memtest shows the CPU as a Pentium III 501.1MHz (I got a 1MHz overclock over stock apparently, ultimate performance boost), so it's working. I just don't know how the motherboard is going to like using the Pentium III when I finally get into Windows. I figure, worst case scenario, I won't be able to use SSE, or it will crash when SSE is invoked, but I'm in this for the raw 20% increase in performance, not SSE.

The motherboard is an EPoX EP-61BXA-M with the 1998 BIOS. I have no clue if it's the 1MB, 2MB or whatever version. I have no plans of updating the BIOS anyways if everything works to my liking. Besides, I kind of like seeing it say "500MHz Pentium II," on POST.

Where am I?