VOGONS

First post, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have a SCSI CDROM hanging off an Adaptec controller. Windows 95 is installed with the BootGUI=0 option so initial boot goes straight to DOS. ASPI2DOS and ASPICD are loaded in config.sys and MSCDEX is loaded in autoexec.bat. The CDROM works just fine in DOS, and if I run "win" to load 95 it works just fine in Windows too using the protected mode drivers.

The problem arises if I try to exit 95 back to DOS by using the "Restart in MS-DOS mode option". After arriving back at the DOS prompt, the drive letter is still there and all relevant drivers are still in memory, but any attempt to access the CDROM drive results in an error. I suspect that something needs to be reset after being used in protected mode Windows, but I don't know what exactly. Any thoughts?

Reply 1 of 1, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I had a similar issue in Win98, re-installed the OS and found it remmed out the MSCDEX line in auto bat. Could be the protected mode driver conflicted with the DOS based driver. Do not know if that helps or is the same issue but all I could think of. I created a CD.bat file to load mscdex when needed.

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun