VOGONS

First post, by The_ED

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello there friends! 😉

Pretty much subject sums it up: I'm putting together retro pc project and at this point, last part that I'm looking for is cooler/heatsink for this build - parts that I've got so far are:
ASUS P3V4X mobo, modded by Korean seller Tualatin CPU with adapter and MSI-6905 V2 slotket.
I don't plan to overclock it and want it to be cool and quiet, but I don't know what cooling capacity is required for this chip. Also from few searches around here and google I understand that there might be some mounting problems because of tualatins ihs and modded adapter, yeah and size limits of slot 1 nature itself.

Only thing that I've found atm is Zalmans cnps6000 solution that I'm curious about, but then again I'm kinda afraid of its weight (negative consequences in long run?) and possibility of it blocking RAM slot.

Reply 1 of 21, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

One of the best is the Arctic Cooling Copper Silent 3 which has a screw-adjustable retaining clip, but they're hard to source now. TBH any decent socket 370/A cooler will do the job though with the extra interposer layer you may need to bend the retaining clip to compensate.

Reply 2 of 21, by wirerogue

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

they don't get very warm. only 32 watt tdp.
i'm using a cooler master CM-MF370 on mine and it's more than sufficient, even when overclocking.
not sure how it would fit with your modded adapter.

Reply 3 of 21, by Zoomer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello! I've got somewhat similar config (slot 1 Gigabyte GA6BXE + Korean p3 1.4s on a slotket). In case of cnps6000 - are you afraid only its weight? Will it fit at all on a slotket?

There's this interesting topic here: Best low profile 370 cooler

The gist of it that any Socket 370 and most Socket A cooling solutions with a retention clip will fit. It has to be small (that's the most ambiguous part since it depends on your exact model of motherboard; there's also a chance that it'll cover one of your RAM slots, but IMO that's not a big deal) and it will be the best if it has a retention clip with three mounting points on either side (like on the attached picture) - that is to avoid damaging the socket itself.

I opted for Titan ttc-d5tb/g/cu35/sc (yeah, the name just rolls off your tongue). It has a speed control plate (optional) and isn't deafeningly noisy even on high speeds. On a normal medium speed it's almost inaudible. Still, even considering its small footprint I had to take off the decorative grill and shift upwards the fan a bit on the heat sink in order to avoid bending motherboard's capacitors.

Since your config will be way out of spec for any cooler dimension-wise (not only you adding to thickness because of IHS but also because of that Korean guy's adapter) don't forget to bend the retention clip on the solution of your choice before installation.

Attachments

Last edited by Zoomer on 2020-01-13, 07:56. Edited 5 times in total.

MB: Asus P3B-F 1.03 (2x ISA)
CPU: PIII-S 1.4GHz/VIA C3 800MHz
RAM: 256MB PC133
Video: GeForce 4600Ti/Voodoo 5 5500/Voodoo 3 3500 for DOS Glide
Audio: SB16 OPL3 + Audigy Platinum Ex

Reply 5 of 21, by The_ED

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
PC Hoarder Patrol wrote on 2020-01-12, 20:10:

One of the best is the Arctic Cooling Copper Silent 3 which has a screw-adjustable retaining clip, but they're hard to source now. TBH any decent socket 370/A cooler will do the job though with the extra interposer layer you may need to bend the retaining clip to compensate.

If thats the one that Phil mentioned in one of his socket 370 builds, then I'm afraid that this one would be too huge and RIP that poor slotket 😁

wirerogue wrote on 2020-01-12, 20:41:

they don't get very warm. only 32 watt tdp.
i'm using a cooler master CM-MF370 on mine and it's more than sufficient, even when overclocking.
not sure how it would fit with your modded adapter.

Can't find any info about it's specs, if it ain't too big and heavy might be an option, but theres also sourcing question - usually I go to eBay for those parts, since theres no any local stores in my place with retro hardware.

Zoomer wrote on 2020-01-13, 07:33:
Hello! I've got somewhat similar config (slot 1 Gigabyte GA6BXE + Korean p3 1.4s on a slotket). In case of cnps6000 - are you af […]
Show full quote

Hello! I've got somewhat similar config (slot 1 Gigabyte GA6BXE + Korean p3 1.4s on a slotket). In case of cnps6000 - are you afraid only its weight? Will it fit at all on a slotket?

There's this interesting topic here: Best low profile 370 cooler

The gist of it that any Socket 370 and most Socket A cooling solutions with a retention clip will fit. It has to be small (that's the most ambiguous part since it depends on your exact model of motherboard; there's also a chance that it'll cover one of your RAM slots, but IMO that's not a big deal) and it will be the best if it has a retention clip with three mounting points on either side (like on the attached picture) - that is to avoid damaging the socket itself.

I opted for Titan ttc-d5tb/g/cu35/sc (yeah, the name just rolls off your tongue). It has a speed control plate (optional) and isn't deafeningly noisy even on high speeds. On a normal medium speed it's almost inaudible. Still, even considering its small footprint I had to take off the decorative grill and shift upwards the fan a bit on the heat sink in order to avoid bending motherboard's capacitors.

Since your config will be way out of spec for any cooler dimension-wise (not only you adding to thickness because of IHS but also because of that Korean guy's adapter) don't forget to bend the retention clip on the solution of your choice before installation.

That model number tho 😁 Looks like a bit on huge side as well, ain't afraid of that slot or slotket rippin out? 😀
I've stumbled on this thread Ultimate Packard Bell P3 / Voodoo3 and looks like that cnps sits nice in there, ofc there's no IHS on that cpu if I'm correct, but inspecting that board dionb uses, mine P3V has bigger gap between cpu and ram slots, might even turn out that it wouldn't block anything.

The Serpent Rider wrote on 2020-01-13, 07:39:

TItan TTC-CU4TB should suffice.

It looks compelling, but wouldn't that small fan be noisy?

Thanks for Your replays guys, much <3.

Reply 6 of 21, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Use resistor or fan controler to decrease RPM.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 7 of 21, by The_ED

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
The Serpent Rider wrote on 2020-01-13, 09:01:

Use resistor or fan controler to decrease RPM.

Did a bit of searching and found an alternative to mentioned TTC cooler - Akasa AK-351-2, judging by both specs listed on their official webs, they are kinda similar, but beefier fan of Akasa would be a tiny bit less noisier 4800 vs 4000RPM. Availability is also good. Now I'm curious about potential temps when cpu will be 100% loaded or stressed with games.

Reply 8 of 21, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Thin fin heatsinks are going to be really good. A heavy hunk of metal with thick fins will not cool very well.
Any of these should work just fine.

3.jpg
Filename
3.jpg
File size
131.23 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Cooler Master 2U 60x38mm Socket A 370 CPU 3-Pin Cooling Fan with Copper Heatsink

2.jpg
Filename
2.jpg
File size
108.91 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Cooler Master Socket 370 Cooling Fan MicroFin Heat Sink

1.jpg
Filename
1.jpg
File size
242.99 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Pentium 3 III Celeron Copper Core CPU Cooler Heatsink Fan Socket 370 VIA C3

Last edited by Stiletto on 2020-03-02, 06:24. Edited 2 times in total.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 9 of 21, by buckeye

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Great timing! Just starting to gather parts for my first ever "370" build and on the lookout for a good cooler.

Asus P5N-E Intel Core 2 Duo 3.33ghz. 4GB DDR2 Geforce 470 1GB SB X-Fi Titanium 650W XP SP3
Intel SE440BX P3 450 256MB 80GB SSD Radeon 7200 64mb SB 32pnp 350W 98SE
MSI x570 Gaming Pro Carbon Ryzen 3700x 32GB DDR4 Zotac RTX 3070 8GB WD Black 1TB 850W

Reply 10 of 21, by The_ED

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
cyclone3d wrote on 2020-01-13, 15:35:

Thin fin heatsinks are going to be really good. A heavy hunk of metal with thick fins will not cool very well.

That copper Cooler Master looks appealing, bad thing that it's nowhere to find in Europe.
Would this Akasa heatsink count as "hunk of metal"? 😁
http://www.akasa.com.tw/img/product/common/ga … K-351-2_g01.jpg

Reply 11 of 21, by lost77

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

One of those thin fin heatsinks need a decent amount of airflow to work, creating unwanted noise. I would use something like the Titan TTC-D5T with a slow moving fan (maybe 1500 RPM) to cut down on noise. The fins are far enough apart that the air will still get down to the bottom. It doesn't actually weigh a lot, mine weighed in at 260g including the 80mm fan. That is only slightly above the official limit and most motherboards can handle way more.

Reply 12 of 21, by The_ED

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
lost77 wrote on 2020-01-13, 18:21:

One of those thin fin heatsinks need a decent amount of airflow to work, creating unwanted noise. I would use something like the Titan TTC-D5T with a slow moving fan (maybe 1500 RPM) to cut down on noise. The fins are far enough apart that the air will still get down to the bottom. It doesn't actually weigh a lot, mine weighed in at 260g including the 80mm fan. That is only slightly above the official limit and most motherboards can handle way more.

I'm a bit concerned about it beeing too big for slot 1 configuration - possibility of touching mb components?

Reply 13 of 21, by lost77

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

That is a good point, didn't notice you were running an adapter. All the socket 370/462 heatsinks I have add extra fin space that wont fit in a slotket. Better get one of those small 1U ones (although loud) or maybe one of these: Cooler Master Celeron Fan DP5-5G51 CPU Cooling Fan.

It was made when overclocking celerons in a slotket was all the rage.

Last edited by Stiletto on 2020-03-02, 06:23. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 14 of 21, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Although the larger-style 60 to 80mm sloped heatsinks, like the Titan listed by @Zoomer, will fit the MSI-6905 V2 slotket (I've checked with my own ones) and there is clearance to the motherboard surface (of about 7mm) which should just avoid the chipset heatsink, the problem is the caps next to the nearest ram slot and the first slot itself. Because the socket on the MSI is offset nearer to the motherboard edge, the marked areas will likely snag the bigger coolers so I'd avoid these and stick to any good 60mm ones listed that you can get hold of. Also, I'd avoid that Akasa you listed - the heatsink is OK but in combination with the fan it's noisy (I swapped the fan for an 80mm one on a 60 to 80 fan adapter. Note that the one linked by @lost77 is only 50mm.

ASUS P3V4X.png
Filename
ASUS P3V4X.png
File size
334.47 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 15 of 21, by Sedrosken

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm using just a normal Startech Socket 370/A cooler -- you can find them new on Amazon. They're rated for up to the Athlon 1400, and while I'm a little skeptical they do quite that well, I feel perfectly fine trusting it with my PIII-S since it sips power by comparison. The only mods I did to it was to bend the retention arm a bit to make it a little less alarmingly stiff, and replace the stock fan with a Noctua 60mm job. The stock screws didn't work with that fan, I had to bend out the metal fins for the retaining bit and use standard casemount screws threaded in backwards. It was a little confusing to pull off and I'm not doing a good job of describing it, but after the mod I can hear my hard drive over my CPU fan again.

Nanto: H61H2-AM3, 4GB, GTS250 1GB, SB0730, 512GB SSD, XP USP4
Rithwic: EP-61BXM-A, Celeron 300A@450, 768MB, GF2MX400/V2, YMF744, 128GB SD2IDE, 98SE (Kex)
Cragstone: Alaris Cougar, 486BL2-66, 16MB, GD5428 VLB, CT2800, 16GB SD2IDE, 95CNOIE

Reply 16 of 21, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Global Win FOP38. Unleash God's breath to cool it using a 7000 RPM Delta fan. Hearing protection recommended.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 17 of 21, by The_ED

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
PC Hoarder Patrol wrote on 2020-01-13, 21:16:

Although the larger-style 60 to 80mm sloped heatsinks, like the Titan listed by @Zoomer, will fit the MSI-6905 V2 slotket (I've checked with my own ones) and there is clearance to the motherboard surface (of about 7mm) which should just avoid the chipset heatsink, the problem is the caps next to the nearest ram slot and the first slot itself. Because the socket on the MSI is offset nearer to the motherboard edge, the marked areas will likely snag the bigger coolers so I'd avoid these and stick to any good 60mm ones listed that you can get hold of. Also, I'd avoid that Akasa you listed - the heatsink is OK but in combination with the fan it's noisy (I swapped the fan for an 80mm one on a 60 to 80 fan adapter. Note that the one linked by @lost77 is only 50mm.

Thanks for those little details, much obliged.

Sedrosken wrote on 2020-01-14, 01:08:

I'm using just a normal Startech Socket 370/A cooler -- you can find them new on Amazon. They're rated for up to the Athlon 1400, and while I'm a little skeptical they do quite that well, I feel perfectly fine trusting it with my PIII-S since it sips power by comparison. The only mods I did to it was to bend the retention arm a bit to make it a little less alarmingly stiff, and replace the stock fan with a Noctua 60mm job. The stock screws didn't work with that fan, I had to bend out the metal fins for the retaining bit and use standard casemount screws threaded in backwards. It was a little confusing to pull off and I'm not doing a good job of describing it, but after the mod I can hear my hard drive over my CPU fan again.

I think that I decided which way I'm going to do it - since there is no out of the box all in one, no compromise solution, gonna get one of those copper Cooler Master heatsinks that cyclone3d suggested and follow Sedrosken idea of swapping stock cooler with Noctua 60mm one, that spins @ 1600RPM.

gdjacobs wrote on 2020-01-14, 06:42:

Global Win FOP38. Unleash God's breath to cool it using a 7000 RPM Delta fan. Hearing protection recommended.

That sounds dreadful! 😁 😁

P.S. Gonna give progress updates and reports once all parts arrive and will be sandwiched. 😀

Reply 18 of 21, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Maybe I'm missing some new model, but I don't see a 60mm Noctua that's 1600RPM - they all seem to be 3000RPM. As an alternative, this is one I've used quite a bit in the past with good airflow, very quiet and a good bit cheaper than Noctua.

https://gelidsolutions.com/thermal-solutions/ … e-fan-silent-6/

Reply 19 of 21, by The_ED

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
PC Hoarder Patrol wrote on 2020-01-15, 06:20:

Maybe I'm missing some new model, but I don't see a 60mm Noctua that's 1600RPM - they all seem to be 3000RPM. As an alternative, this is one I've used quite a bit in the past with good airflow, very quiet and a good bit cheaper than Noctua.

https://gelidsolutions.com/thermal-solutions/ … e-fan-silent-6/

It's Noctua NF-A6x25 FLX model, it comes with L.N.A. and U.L.N.A. adapters, that makes it spin slower. Probably resistor modded adapters from factory. 😀
Here in Latvia that Gelid fan is priced similar to Noctua, 3-4€ difference, but availability is poor.