VOGONS

First post, by foil_fresh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

hi all

i've ordered a thermaltake pipe101 solid copper 500gm heatsink that requires either a separate 80mm or 92mm fan. motherboard is an ecs 648fx-A2. i currently have a stock cooler which is terribly loud and wobbly to the point that one of my SATA ports broke off from the vibration (i assume).

now back in the day i had a p4 2.4 that my dad gave me and it had a stock fan too, so i have zero knowledge about these hot beasts and how to cool them.

i have read that the fans should have 2 connectors - 1 for power and 1 for rpm management from the mobo. if this is correct, what kind of fan would be sufficient to cool the 103w TDP going thru this half kilogram heatsink? ebay / amazon inks / model numbers would be appreciated.

i would like to keep noise down. the heatsink is capable of handling 3.8ghz so i guess this cpu at 3.2 means that the heatsink will be cool enough with a lower speed fan? wrong? right? ehhhh?

cheers guys.

Attachments

• pipe101b.jpg
    Filename
    pipe101b.jpg
    File size
    59.43 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 1 of 8, by kolderman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Just make sure the fan is high static pressure. Do not get a slow one! Quality brands will make quiet capable fans. The Prescott were a disaster for heat, if I was you I would switch it for Northwood. They are cheap enough.

Reply 2 of 8, by foil_fresh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
kolderman wrote on 2020-01-13, 07:14:

Just make sure the fan is high static pressure. Do not get a slow one! Quality brands will make quiet capable fans. The Prescott were a disaster for heat, if I was you I would switch it for Northwood. They are cheap enough.

what is considered slow RPM and what is considered fast in this case?

and the 130nm northwood is cooler than the 90nm prescott? will it be slower? i mean the prescott is nearly 2 years newer. i'm okay with performance improvements.

Reply 3 of 8, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Any decent standard 3-pin or PWM 4-pin would do. Maybe look at the original quality beige/brown Noctua fans to match that lump of copper!, though they are pricey compared to others.

https://noctua.at/en/products/fan

Reply 4 of 8, by kolderman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I think 1000-1400 rpm is reasonable for a cpu fan. They have 4 wires, one is for PWM to control speed.

Prescott was a mixed bag performance wise. It was not much of a leap over Northwood and could even be slower. It was really a new cpu arch and not very good.

Reply 5 of 8, by foil_fresh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
kolderman wrote on 2020-01-13, 07:29:

I think 1000-1400 rpm is reasonable for a cpu fan. They have 4 wires, one is for PWM to control speed.

Prescott was a mixed bag performance wise. It was not much of a leap over Northwood and could even be slower. It was really a new cpu arch and not very good.

damn you're right, i just had a look at some older benchmarks and they're basically neck and neck. prescott wins in some and northwood in others. i would definitely be feeling the burn if i paid the rrp back in 04 for this thing.

i found one fan - vantec tornado TD8038H 80mm case fan - this was reccomended for the heatsink on another page elsewhere, yet its speed is a whopping 5700RPM. is this just overkill or is the 1000-1400rpm suggested too slow for the job?

Reply 6 of 8, by kolderman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That fan is High Air Flow Case Fan. Do NOT get that kind of case fan.

The noctua nf-f12 is high static pressure and does about 1500 rpm. Air flow fans can get such high rpm as there is nothing pushing back against them.

I run a Northwood 3.4ghz with a regular s478 hsf assembly and its fine.

Reply 7 of 8, by foil_fresh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
kolderman wrote on 2020-01-13, 07:55:

That fan is High Air Flow Case Fan. Do NOT get that kind of case fan.

The noctua nf-f12 is high static pressure and does about 1500 rpm. Air flow fans can get such high rpm as there is nothing pushing back against them.

I run a Northwood 3.4ghz with a regular s478 hsf assembly and its fine.

ok cheers. i have had a look at all their 92mm fans and found this one on ebay.

should be good yea?

Last edited by Stiletto on 2020-03-02, 06:25. Edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed eBay link