VOGONS

First post, by Auron359

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I recently got my hands on a Lo-tech MIF IPC B ISA card to connect my Roland MPU-401. It came without a ISA bracket but the wiki did say the following:
"A standard DB25 port provides compatibility with the original Roland cables, and is positioned such that the ISA slot bracket from an IBM parallel port card can be used"

So i bought an IMB parallel port card which was non working and took the ISA bracket and fit it to the Lo-tech card. Installed it in my PC but have now noticed that the ISA bracket seams to be to long in that it is not flush with the case and cannot be screwed in. (see pics)
The ISA bracket is normal length as far as i know so I can't see any reason why its like this.

Last edited by Stiletto on 2020-01-14, 03:33. Edited 3 times in total.

Reply 1 of 10, by kolderman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

wat

Reply 2 of 10, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You simply bought the wrong bracket for the card.

Also, brackets for PCI cards can generally not be used for ISA cards, as the mounting of PCI cards is inverted compared to ISA, so it won't ever line up correctly.

Reply 3 of 10, by Auron359

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
derSammler wrote on 2020-01-13, 20:58:

You simply bought the wrong bracket for the card.

Also, brackets for PCI cards can generally not be used for ISA cards, as the mounting of PCI cards is inverted compared to ISA, so it won't ever line up correctly.

The bracket came from an ISA card not a PCI card,
As per the Wiki it says "A standard DB25 port provides compatibility with the original Roland cables, and is positioned such that the ISA slot bracket from an IBM parallel port card can be used"

As you can see from the Pictures provided the card is properly installed in the ISA slot and the bracket which came from the listed IBM parallel port card also fits the card...it for some reason is to long which it shoudn't be.

Reply 4 of 10, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Did you compare the bracket against another newer ISA bracket (like on a late model Sb16) ? I recall some late 80's/early 90's ISA cards had longer than "standard" back brackets meant for specific cases. I have a very old ISA scsi card minus bracket because it was about 1/2" too long to fit newer cases properly.

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 5 of 10, by Auron359

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Horun wrote on 2020-01-14, 00:27:

Did you compare the bracket against another newer ISA bracket (like on a late model Sb16) ? I recall some late 80's/early 90's ISA cards had longer than "standard" back brackets meant for specific cases. I have a very old ISA scsi card minus bracket because it was about 1/2" too long to fit newer cases properly.

At the moment it is the only ISA card that i have so i can't compare anything yet. However my AWE64 Gold soundcard should be arriving in a few days so I can compare that ^^
I dont know if ISA brackets are naturally smaller than PCI brackets but the ISA bracket i have is the same length as my Voodoo 5 PCI bracket.
Of course the ISA slot itself is higher than a PCI slot so maybe they are meant to be smaller but you can't tell by Ebay pictures until you get the item in your hands 🙁

Reply 6 of 10, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Looks to me like the bracket is just the wrong one.

Almost all brackets, except low profile and some for special cases are going to be the same length.

I bet the hole in the bracket you are trying to use is not high up enough on the bracket for the Lo-Tech card.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 7 of 10, by Auron359

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
cyclone3d wrote on 2020-01-14, 01:09:

Looks to me like the bracket is just the wrong one.

Almost all brackets, except low profile and some for special cases are going to be the same length.

I bet the hole in the bracket you are trying to use is not high up enough on the bracket for the Lo-Tech card.

Well if it ends up being the wrong one I can't get my hands on the correct bracket... Not paying £50+ for one from the USA is horrible condition.
Wonder if i can make something or find somenthing to allow me to fill the gap securly.

Reply 8 of 10, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Use a ruler and get measurements on how much the bracket is sticking up too high and the length from the top of the bracket to the hole in the bracket.

We may be able to figure out what exactly you need. I bet something else might work.. like maybe a bracket from a 25-pin and 9-pin motherboard header.

The other option is to use a motherboard standoff and screw it into the case where the bracket is supposed to screw down and then tighten the bracket down onto that. I have a video capture card that I did that with and it works fine.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 9 of 10, by Auron359

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
cyclone3d wrote on 2020-01-14, 02:21:

Use a ruler and get measurements on how much the bracket is sticking up too high and the length from the top of the bracket to the hole in the bracket.

We may be able to figure out what exactly you need. I bet something else might work.. like maybe a bracket from a 25-pin and 9-pin motherboard header.

The other option is to use a motherboard standoff and screw it into the case where the bracket is supposed to screw down and then tighten the bracket down onto that. I have a video capture card that I did that with and it works fine.

The gap is perfectly the size of a motherboard standoff (when screwed into the case) I had to hold it with plliers when securing the screw for the card but now it doesn't move or anything.

Reply 10 of 10, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Glad that you found a way to secure the card. Just to rule out the obvious, are you sure that the tip of the bracket is going through the holes pictured below? Sometimes the holes are too small/thin or the bracket is slightly misaligned with them and this is exactly what happens. I doubt this is the case of course since the card appears to be correctly seated, but just in case...

Untitled.png