VOGONS

Philips P2230

Topic actions

First post, by nuno14272

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello
I have aquired a Philips P2230 computer in great shape.
Intel 286-12mhz
4 MB RAM
Internal graphics - ATI 64kb RAM (like a plasma screen)
And its came with IBM h3133 hard drive.

Now. The problem was the RTC Dallas ds1287. the computer booted but complain and ask me to go to setup.(F3).

After i replace the Dallas chip for a ds12887, the PC booted fine, i went to BIOS and setup the thing up, but on the hard drive department i had to choose witch type of harddrive.. nome of the nunbers mached the cylinders and headers of the disk. - this BIOS shows the types.and the cylinders heads and sectors associated with it.

I tried to choose One type and the computer booted but say, "no operating system"... I can boot with a floppy, go to fdisk and see theres a 100mb disk, active..

Tried to enter the BIOS now, but F3 doesn't go to the setup.anymore..

In conclusion:
What is the combination to enter the BIOS on this damm machine. Tried almost everithing
Second... Of my disk doesn't apeered on te disk types in BIOS is anything i can do?
IBM h3133 133mb (1023cyl, 15heads, 17sectors)

Thanks you.

1| 386DX40
2| P200mmx, Voodoo 1
3| PIII-450, Voodoo 3 3000

Reply 1 of 6, by Predator99

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

For the BIOS I would try a DOS-Setup program. With a quick search I found this (gsetup.zip), but there are many others.
http://www.elhvb.com/webhq/download/index.htm

For the hard disk I would recommend to install a XT-IDE Bios on a network card to bypass the BIOS issues...

Reply 2 of 6, by nuno14272

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I will try to use a Dinamic disk overlay from IBM...

Meanwhile, does anyone have a service manual for this beautiful computer ?

1| 386DX40
2| P200mmx, Voodoo 1

Reply 3 of 6, by nuno14272

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Update. After using a ontrack disk manager boot, the program read the specs of my hdd disk correctly, and i was able to use the full size of the disk via a BIOS overlay.

Installed MSDOS 6.22, a few games. Everything worked fine( not using the onbord ati monochrome 64kb graphics card ), insted a wd90c0o Card.

But now i want to enter setup to Change to turbo speed. 8mhz to 12.5mhz. after all my CPU is a Intel 12mhz..

But i do i enter the setup program??? Seems that the computer ONLY asks me to go to setup when someting is wrong.

Gsetup doesn't work, because does not acesses the parameters on the BIOS i want... I entrares the BIOS before so i know theres a options for that..

Any help? With this Philips computers?

1| 386DX40
2| P200mmx, Voodoo 1

Reply 6 of 6, by nuno14272

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

GOT IT, God damm..

After a crazy amount of reboots, i can now enter setup even in dos comandos line... Anytime, anywhere... Danmit...

The combination is: ctrl+alt+insert

Now at full speed: 12,5mhz...yeah..

1| 386DX40
2| P200mmx, Voodoo 1