VOGONS

First post, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

EDIT: See below, this information has not been deleted, and there is a way to find it!

So, over the years I've used my order histories on various sites to track and date the significant PC builds (for myself or for others) I have done over the years. My Newegg history dates back to about 2000. Amazon goes back to 2001. The vast majority of my PC hardware purchases, many of which are now firmly in "retro" territory were done at Newegg and it was awesome to be able to go back and see not only what I bought, and when, but what I paid for things.

I just logged into my account to check something and I found that they have erased all purchases made before 2011. This is such a tiny, insignificant thing in the grand scheme of life and quite inconsequential... but I still feel robbed. As someone who values historical information regarding PCs, and as someone who is quite nostalgic... and ALSO as someone who some times comes across PCs I built for people nearly 20 years ago (and they are always still running), this was like someone threw away the only copy of a journal of my PC hobby\business when I was first getting started (picture it like my avatar really...). Sure there were many hardware purchases made through other sites\magazines (PC Mall, Computer Shopper, Buy.com, CDW, mwave, ewiz, GoogleGear, etc.), and many made before we started shopping at newegg, but at least 85% were done at newegg until maybe 2010.

So, this is a pointless rant, really. But I guess we could use this thread to discuss how far back your recorded PC hardware purchase history goes... and has newegg unceremoniously hit the delete button on yours as well? If they have, drop them an email to let them know that retro computing enthusiasts appreciate not having 10 years of historical data wiped to save 1MB of server space.

Last edited by Ozzuneoj on 2021-01-29, 02:04. Edited 1 time in total.

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 2 of 43, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I noticed Newegg did that a few months ago when I wanted to know what date had bought a video card and PSU from them and could not find it or anything older than about 8 years.

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 4 of 43, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

As much as I understand your frustration it is reassuring to know that the internet can actually 'forget' you even if it takes a decade to do so..

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 5 of 43, by Cyrix200+

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
appiah4 wrote on 2020-01-14, 08:13:

As much as I understand your frustration it is reassuring to know that the internet can actually 'forget' you even if it takes a decade to do so..

The data is probably still somewhere, they just chose to make it unavailable to the customer for whatever reason.

1982 to 2001

Reply 6 of 43, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I just wanted to update this thread with some wonderful news that chrismeyer6 posted here earlier.

If you go to your Newegg order history page you can still search for items from orders that are more than 10 years old and it will bring up that order!

Apparently they just did something stupid with the page itself and only allow it to show 10 years worth of orders in the drop down box.

So far, the oldest orders I've been able to dig up using this method are my eVGA Ti 4400 back in May of 2002, and my K7S5A + Athlon T-Bird 1.33Ghz (and a Mitsumi floppy drive...) back in December of 2001. I think any orders older than that would have been on my brother's or my mother's account.

As a pointlessly nostalgic person, this makes me very happy. I like to be able to place things with a definite date.

Reply 7 of 43, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Ozzuneoj wrote on 2021-01-29, 02:03:
I just wanted to update this thread with some wonderful news that chrismeyer6 posted here earlier. […]
Show full quote

I just wanted to update this thread with some wonderful news that chrismeyer6 posted here earlier.

If you go to your Newegg order history page you can still search for items from orders that are more than 10 years old and it will bring up that order!

Apparently they just did something stupid with the page itself and only allow it to show 10 years worth of orders in the drop down box.

So far, the oldest orders I've been able to dig up using this method are my eVGA Ti 4400 back in May of 2002, and my K7S5A + Athlon T-Bird 1.33Ghz (and a Mitsumi floppy drive...) back in December of 2001. I think any orders older than that would have been on my brother's or my mother's account.

As a pointlessly nostalgic person, this makes me very happy. I like to be able to place things with a definite date.

Good to know but it appears it is tied to email address and not customer #, in 2016 Verizon was sold to Frontier (in my area) and so that is as far back as I can go now. Do have a drawer with receipts printed out going back to 2004 from them....

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 8 of 43, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Ozzuneoj wrote on 2021-01-29, 02:03:
I just wanted to update this thread with some wonderful news that chrismeyer6 posted here earlier. […]
Show full quote

Good to know. Now I can gaze upon one of my earliest purchases from them in 2003.

Reply 9 of 43, by chrismeyer6

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Back in May I was trying to remember some parts I bought for a computer I built for my Uncle back in 07. Much to my dismay they would show past that and then I just typed in the the name of the motherboard and the whole order popped up and then I kept trying different parts ive purchased in the past and everything was still there. You can even just type in the year and anything that has that year will show up.

Reply 10 of 43, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
liqmat wrote on 2021-01-29, 03:07:

Good to know. Now I can gaze upon one of my earliest purchases from them in 2003.

Ok using your link changed the numbers to same on one old invoices and got this: https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16814108125?Item … N82E16814108125

chrismeyer6 wrote on 2021-01-29, 03:19:

You can even just type in the year and anything that has that year will show up.

I tried that and did not work for me 🙁 Looking at Neweggs invoices had one ID up to 2008 (email) and another up to 2016 (cust #) and now a diff one based on email again but always same me, address, etc.
Not sure why they do not show all the stuff other than I had diff emails over time 🙁

Reply 11 of 43, by Mister Xiado

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If you edit the dropdown box's code, you can insert any year you like, and add any number of extra lines for years.

<option value="YYYY">within Year YYYY</option>

b_ldnt2.gif - Where it's always 1995.
Icons, wallpapers, and typical Oldternet nonsense.

Reply 12 of 43, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
kolderman wrote on 2020-01-14, 00:07:

EBay does the same. That's why I make sure to archive and tag every email from eBay.

I don't get it. I have gigabytes of storage on my GMail account and effectively unlimited storage on my Yahoo account, so why is eBay still stuck in the nineties after all this time?

Reply 13 of 43, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Horun wrote on 2021-01-29, 03:42:

I tried that and did not work for me 🙁 Looking at Neweggs invoices had one ID up to 2008 (email) and another up to 2016 (cust #) and now a diff one based on email again but always same me, address, etc.
Not sure why they do not show all the stuff other than I had diff emails over time 🙁

That's odd. I've had two or three different emails over the years and all of my orders seem to still be there.

I really wish I had archived my ebay history better though. It's lame that all of that info is gone, at least over the past 5 years since I started dabbling in retro stuff. The closest I have is that I take a ton of pictures and never delete anything. Also, if I pick items out of a lot I tend to keep the pictures with my markings on them, so I have those with dates. That's a small fraction of the stuff I've bought on ebay though.

Really lame that they can't keep that history.

Reply 14 of 43, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Mister Xiado wrote on 2021-01-29, 04:01:
If you edit the dropdown box's code, you can insert any year you like, and add any number of extra lines for years. […]
Show full quote

If you edit the dropdown box's code, you can insert any year you like, and add any number of extra lines for years.

Awesome!

Yeah, if you just change the part in quotes, and then select that year from the dropdown it works! I found my oldest order with this account. A Sound Blaster Live SB0100 which I bought on January 7th of 2002 for less than $40. I went through a lot of sound cards back then. Went from integrated AudioPCI in my Gateway to a cheap bargain basement PCI card of some sort that gave me lots of problems (I think it was one of the crappier, cheapo YMF-724 cards... not fun to use as a noob back in the day and the drivers killed Windows more than once), then a Vortex 2 SQ2500, then this SB Live, and then I see that I purchased a Santa Cruz in June of 2002, hoping to get all the fancy effects from the Vortex back (limited success at the time).

Judging from my purchases, I was beginning to piece together what would become my Abit NF7-S system from April 2002 through July of 2003, so somewhere during that time period I started using the Nvidia SoundStorm.

I think I bought my other parts from Googlegear\ZipZoomFly, mwave, ewiz or some other place. Those orders are lost to time unless my mom filed the printed receipts away somewhere.

Reply 15 of 43, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
If you edit the dropdown box's code, you can insert any year you like, and add any number of extra lines for years. […]
Show full quote

Could you elaborate on this for those of use who aren't very HTML savvy? I would love to be able to do this.

"I'd rather be rich than stupid" - Jack Handey

Reply 16 of 43, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Repo Man11 wrote on 2021-02-16, 18:16:
Show full quote

Could you elaborate on this for those of use who aren't very HTML savvy? I would love to be able to do this.

It is probably somewhat similar in other browsers, but I use Firefox. All I have to do is:

Go to your order history page
Right click the drop down box for the year
In the context menu that pops up, go to "Inspect Element"
This will bring up the Inspector
You'll see it highlight a line "select class="selectOrderTimeRegion"....
Click the arrow to the left of that line to expand it
Then you'll see a line for each entry in that drop down box, with a part that says value="20xx"
All you have to do is edit the digits in quotes on that date, for example, change value="2015" to value="2001"
Don't refresh the page, just go to the drop down box and click 2015 and it will take you to 2001
This will only stay edited until you refresh the page, so it can't hurt anything.

Reply 17 of 43, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Ozzuneoj wrote on 2021-02-16, 20:53:
It is probably somewhat similar in other browsers, but I use Firefox. All I have to do is: […]
Show full quote
Show full quote

It is probably somewhat similar in other browsers, but I use Firefox. All I have to do is:

Then you'll see a line for each entry in that drop down box, with a part that says value="20xx"
All you have to do is edit the digits in quotes on that date, for example, change value="2015" to value="2001"
Don't refresh the page, just go to the drop down box and click 2015 and it will take you to 2001
This will only stay edited until you refresh the page, so it can't hurt anything.

Thanks, got it now. I'm going back and saving my orders as Snips.

Last edited by Stiletto on 2021-02-16, 23:10. Edited 1 time in total.

"I'd rather be rich than stupid" - Jack Handey

Reply 18 of 43, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Ozzuneoj wrote on 2021-02-16, 20:53:
It is probably somewhat similar in other browsers, but I use Firefox. All I have to do is: […]
Show full quote
Show full quote

Welp... I feel really stupid now. I somehow never got around to saving a copy of my orders and now this trick doesn't work anymore since the code on the order history page has changed.

Can anyone figure out a way to do this again?

Probably not, but... oh well.

Searching for the items still works, but that's only going to help with the items that you remember and were listed correctly (some were not).

Reply 19 of 43, by chrismeyer6

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Sadly I haven't been able to figure out a new work around for this. I spent the better part of Saturday trying. Now I really wish I had saved everything in my order history.