VOGONS

First post, by SirNickity

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've seen a few strange problems here lately that I've run across myself and happened to know the answer, so I thought I would throw this one out there and see if anyone else has wrestled with this particular demon...

I just put together a new Cyrix 6x86 build using a Zida TX100 motherboard. Most of the hardware is new to me, so I haven't established any known-goods yet. I connected a Seagate 10GB HDD to the primary IDE, booted from a W95 OSR2 boot floppy, and ran fdisk to create a 3.5GB partition. Rebooted, then "format c:", which runs for a while.. maybe 11%, maybe 25%, then fails "NOT READY" and back to the A: prompt. If I re-run it, it just dies at some new random point.

Tried:
- Swapping drives (it's not the drive)
- fdisk /mbr, repartition (no overlay, no translation issues that I can see)
- FAT16 (2GB part) and FAT32 - no change
- Swapping for 80-conductor cable
- Turning off DMA
- Changing PR200+ clock from 75x2=150 to 66x2=133 (just in case the IDE controller doesn't care to run at 75MHz)

Suspicions:
- It's a VIA chipset, and I've never gotten the hang of those
- BIOS seems to be fine with >8GB drives, but...?
- Using 128MB PC133 RAM stick, which the board only detects as 64MB (supports 2x256MB though), but memtest+ gives thumbs-up

I'll give the secondary IDE channel a try, although I'm not sure how I feel about leaving it that way if it works...?

Reply 1 of 3, by retardware

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

VIA needs drivers for correct initialisation (4in1 etc)
the 128MB stick is possibly an one-sided module, which aren't accepted well by all boards.
Basically the highest address bit is undefined, might cause glitches. Better use a correctly-recognized module.
I am not sure whether DOS 6.22 can handle >8GB, too lazy to search the web.

Reply 2 of 3, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If the board only see's 64Mb of 128Mb ram stick there is an issue you need to correct before going further. I suggest you try a 2GB partition (as what Win95 orig and FAT16 supported) and see what happens.

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 3 of 3, by SirNickity

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The RAM is absolutely something that will be fixed, but I'm out of 64MB sticks at the moment. I bought more from that place with all the old hardware -- just waiting for it to show up now.

I'm pretty sure it's not the lack of VIA drivers, as there's no 4-in-1 driver package for DOS 7.1. 😉 Nor is the 2GB partition, or for that matter the 10GB disk, an issue with OSR2.1 -- that I know from prior success. The BIOS appears to be OK with it, as I tried a 20GB disk and it properly detected that as well.

I have some new data, though ...

I tried swapping the primary and secondary channels (CD on primary, HDD on secondary). That actually worked long enough to get a complete format. However, it took a long while to copy the 88MB of Win95 setup files to the HDD. (It's only a 6x CD-ROM, but still...) Setup ran, but it seemed to get stuck periodically. When it finished installing, and started creating program groups and all that, Windows processes would randomly crash until the whole thing just bombed. Not good.

I decided to fiddle around in the BIOS, and make a bunch of changes to see if I can change the behavior. I turned off L2/L3 cache, anything that mentioned burst or pipeline or turbo with regard to PCI timing. I also noticed that, whether running the CPU at 2x66MHz or 2x75MHz, the PCI Clock was still 33MHz. I then noticed the ISA clock was PCIclk/5, so I turned that down to PCIclk/4 (33.33 / 4 = 8.33MHz).

I then swapped the drives back to their normal positions. (HDD on primary, CD on secondary.) Format worked fine, the files copied in the amount of time you would expect, and setup ran without issues. Windows was able to boot successfully, Plus! installed OK, and it ran for an hour at the desktop without catching fire.

So far so good! Now I just have to turn on all the go-fast features until something breaks again. (But I'm leaving ISA at 8MHz.)