VOGONS

First post, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have a couple of printers in the house, both of which are connected to the home network one way or another.

It is easy enough to print to them from any network-connected PC running anything even as old as Windows 3.1 (yes, it can be done).

But what about DOS-only machines that can only print to a parallel or serial port?

Can I somehow hook up the serial port to the USB port on my modern printer and print that way?

I'd probably just be sending raw text to it, as I don't think any DOS-only machines I'd be doing much fancy word processing on. But you never know, there could be some Postscript involved.

What I really want is something that I can plug into the parallel port that will make my modern network printer appear as though it were physically and natively connected to the port. Ideally the DOS machine has no idea it's actually printing to a network printer.

Yes, I have found LPT2USB. It is sold via some weird form system -- seems kinda shady and I don't want to use that.

Perhaps figuring something out with the serial port is my best bet?

World's foremost 486 enjoyer.

Reply 1 of 3, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Maybe you could use another system to do some kind of signal conversion. Maybe a Raspberry Pi fitted with a serial to usb adapter could get data from that serial port and send it to a network printer, but I don't know if there are software that do the trick.

If you want to use parallel port, I guess the best option would be make a parallel to GPIO adapter.

To make thing easier, your printer should be able to understand a PDL supported by your application (i.e.: PCL, PS)... but also you could get the data, convert it to another PDL (using ghostscript?) and send it to your printer.

(I've got a Raspberry Pi connected to a USB only printer, to use it to a network printer)

Another option would be capturing the LPT output... there were some programs that could capture all LPT output to a file, or (if you have plenty of RAM) using a network client and connect LPT2 directly to a network printer.

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 2 of 3, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

pretty sure you share a printer using an earlier version of windows like 9x or nt,

then install msclient on the dos computer and map the shared printer using net use.
net logon
net use \\PC_name\Printer_name

That will map the LP1 to your network print queue.

Then once you have it mapped, you can use command like
print filename
or
copy filename lpt1
for example copy c:\hello.txt LPT1

You might be able to do something similar or even better with netware with lan workplace for dos, although I never tried it. you would have to use novell tcp ip stack.
http://josh.com/tiny/lwp/dosutil4.htm