VOGONS

First post, by lmttn

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm looking for exactly what the topic says for my 98SE machine. I'm currently considering the Microsoft Sidewinder FFB wheel (this is an early USB wheel), but there are some late DOS/early Win95-era games that I fear may not be compatible with it. I'm mainly planning to use it for older sim racers like Microprose's Grand Prix II & 3, the Papyrus sims, Colin McRae 1/2, etc. If anyone has any of these games, could you tell me what wheels you have used with them and how well they work? Thanks.

Reply 1 of 4, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I’ve used four steering wheels in my life, in order of usage: Thrustmaster T2, MS Sidewinder, Logitech Momo, Logitech G25. My favorite was the Momo, perfect racing formula steering wheel, enough buttons, perfect ergonomics, but poor pedals - the potentiometer had a tendency to fail. I never liked the other three wheels. I still own the G25, the Momo broke the pedals again and I sold it later.

But still, to answer your question, I used the Thrustmaster T2 in DOS racing games like F1GP, in early 90’s; The MS Sidewinder in Win 9x was used between GP2/GP3 and MS Indy Precision Racing game, as well as the Papyrus IndyCar Racing. The quality of the material looked like s**t for me but it worked. The Sidewinder was not perfect and I remember I broke it but meets your requirements for Win 9x games. The Momo is for XP-era and above computers. The Momo and G25 were used for GP4 and rFactor, respectively.

The Thrustmaster T2 was my #1 choice for DOS games (I dunno about Win 95) like F1GP, the first installment of Geoff Crammond’s GPx series. T2 worked fine for F1GP but I can’t remember if I used it with GP2. I probably used it with GP2 for a while - I have a photo of me in 1997 with that steering wheel, and GP2 was released in 1996. In that photo the monitor is blurred because of the flash, but I was probably playing F1 ‘97, the PC version of the same playstation game.

So basically DOS/95 - T2, 98 - Sidewinder, XP and above - Momo, 7 and above - G25.

"Design isn't just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
JOBS, Steve.
READ: Right to Repair sucks and is illegal!

Reply 2 of 4, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thrustmaster wheels were quite good back in that day. And I believe they still are (at least the modern ones) for some sim racers that can’t afford the current-gen PRO steering wheels like Fanatec ones. Logitech comes a close third place.

Last edited by Stiletto on 2020-03-02, 06:19. Edited 1 time in total.

"Design isn't just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
JOBS, Steve.
READ: Right to Repair sucks and is illegal!

Reply 3 of 4, by JidaiGeki

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I used the ACT-LABS Racing System to play C McRae 1 & 2, NFS, TOCA, etc. back in the day. Nice wheel, a leather-like wrap and very solid feel overall. Worth looking up some reviews on it.

Reply 4 of 4, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Great post here on force feedback.
Unique Force Feedback API Support

Personably I still prefer cable driven Logitech "Old Red"
http://alison.hine.net/gpl/controls/oldred.htm